HybridZ

stub axels, too tight?

ciavola

while reassembling the rear suspention, i replaced bearings\seals on both sides but one the sides seems harder to turn then the other. both torqued to 150 pounds to start. it takes about 72 ounces on a spring scale to start movement one the one in question and 35 ounces on the other is this normal or am i doing something wrong? bad bearings? all new from Black Dragon.

Most likely the seal is causing the drag. Did you lube the seal? If you want to check you could take the seal out, torque it to 150 and check again but you may F up the seal if you're not careful. Although the FSM has instructions that read something like "add torque until the preload = x lbs to begin to rotate as checked by a spring measure gauge", I do not see how additional torque affects this. The torque goes through the stub axle outer flange through the outer bearing inner race through the strut spacer through the inner bearing inner race, the companion flange, and to the nut. What changes in there based on the torque? Nothing should really move, which is why I don't see the torque having any effect (as long as it is within reason.

I do not see how additional torque affects this. The torque goes through the stub axle outer flange through the outer bearing inner race through the strut spacer through the inner bearing inner race, the companion flange, and to the nut. What changes in there based on the torque? Nothing should really move, which is why I don't see the torque having any effect (as long as it is within reason.

The spacer is relatively soft metal compared to the inner bearing races. I assume it compresses some tiny amount based on torque which seats the bearing outer races harder into the hub. Too much torque causes a slight amount of distortion in the bearings between the inner and outer races. There is a measurable difference in pre-load between the lower and upper toque spec in the FSM.

I've got mine out so I could go measure, but without measuring I'd estimate that sucker is .180 wall or better. It's THICK metal to distort under a 150 ft/lb torque load. If you've seen a crush sleeve they take 450+ ft/lbs to crush and they are probably .080" and formed with a bend in them. I know that reading the FSM that makes what you are saying logical, but I'm not buying that argument. I think this is one area where the FSM is just plain old wrong.