HybridZ

Thoughts on Machining Sportmax 002's for more offset?

Hey guys, I am on my second set of 002's 16x8's (+0 offset) on two different S30's. Both had/have 245/50/16 tires on them and both rubbed in the rear until fender lip rolling and/or 300 in/lbs coilovers were installed.

The other day I noticed that there is a pretty decent thickness to the mounting pad on the wheels. I wondered if anyone would think that I'd have a problem having a buddy (who owns a machine shop) machine 0.5-0.75" off the inside of the wheel mounting surface using a lathe to gain some offset. I have tons of room on the inside between the rim/tire and the rear struts.

Take care guys!!

Edited by Cable

Look inside your lug holes. The 4 lug mounting holes are stepped. There are many ways to step the mounting holes but that is your problem in machining the wheels. You can't remove any of the step that the lug nuts use to hold the wheel on with.

You need to have a minimum of .550" from back pad to the top of the lug seat, it is not safe to go any lower. If your wheels have Shanked Lug Nuts also consider that the shank must be shorter than the seat X-section otherwise you will bottom them against the hub giving you a false torq reading and loose wheels.

RE