HybridZ

RB25DET NEO almost there, but not

linluv84

So after tons of prep work, the engine and trans are sitting in the car. Moving the dipstick was exciting, lots of bending and re-bending to make it work right. Pat's pan went on with almost no problems. The issues I'm facing right now are mounts and wiring. The Rick Wong mounts with the Dodge isolators put the engine in a bad spot for the McKinney intercooler kit and clearing the steering rack. My engine harness came with all the excess wiring, but no MAF wiring and a couple damaged connectors. Even with pictures, the importer claims the MAF connector is there. I managed to find the right connector in the junkyard, but still need to make sure I have right wires before soldering it up (scratching my head over the ecu pin numbering). The boost control solenoid is broken and the boost pressure sensor is MIA. The plan (for now) is to bypass the solenoid and hope for the best. Doing more wiring research tonight and ordering a set of McKinney mounts in the morning...

Would it not be cheaper (and better IMHO) to purchase the correct Supra isolators for your Rick Wong mounts, than to spend the money being charged for those other mounts? I used the Wong/Supra set up and I didn't have to modify anything to install my I/C.

BTW, what is a Mckinny I/C kit consist of?

Would it not be cheaper (and better IMHO) to purchase the correct Supra isolators for your Rick Wong mounts, than to spend the money being charged for those other mounts? I used the Wong/Supra set up and I didn't have to modify anything to install my I/C.

BTW, what is a Mckinny I/C kit consist of?

The McKinney I/C kit has a very nice intercooler, 3 pc custom fit pipe set, connectors, clamps, and brackets. I would rather get the McKinney mounts than half-a$$ or chop up the I/C kit. I'll either hang on to the Wong mounts for my next project, or try to recoup my cash. Thanks for offering fab skills, Pat. I've already got the McKinney mounts on the way. Hopefully it will still be on the road by the end of next week...

post-1377-12713908942613_thumb.jpg

post-1377-12713907992202_thumb.jpg

The McKinney mounts got me a lot closer and 99% of the wiring is done (thanks to Z-Ya's beautiful schematic!). The choke lamp is living a second life as the MIL :) . I still have to make some slight adjustments to the oil pan to get it to clear the rack. The McKinney mounts put the engine really close to the rack even with a 200ZR pan. If I can work it right, I will be able to make the modifications without pulling the engine or pan...

Ended up having to pull the pan and cut/weld, but its all bolted in now. The portion of the harness with the MAF and O2 wiring was missing from my harness, so I added the wiring back in with a junkyard connector. Bad news is I got the pinout bass ackwards and possibly fried something. I might end up having to replace the MAF or ECU. Troubleshooting continues today...

Oil pan modifications:

post-1377-12723051195792_thumb.jpg

post-1377-12723051228864_thumb.jpg

post-1377-12723051257683_thumb.jpg

post-1377-12723051313303_thumb.jpg

ECU got fried. I replaced the diode that popped, but a capacitor that was right next to it crumbled to pieces when I wiped it with a q-tip. Without being able to read the value of the cap, I am giving up on this ECU and buying a replacement. I plugged it back in to see what it would do without the capacitor and it blew clouds of black smoke and flames out the exhaust. Another $300ish into the project, yay...

post-1377-12724287389337_thumb.jpg

ECU got fried. I replaced the diode that popped, but a capacitor that was right next to it crumbled to pieces when I wiped it with a q-tip. Without being able to read the value of the cap, I am giving up on this ECU and buying a replacement. I plugged it back in to see what it would do without the capacitor and it blew clouds of black smoke and flames out the exhaust. Another $300ish into the project, yay...

post-1377-12724287389337_thumb.jpg

Figure out what is wired wrong in your harness before you plug another ecu in or else the same thing will happen to the new one.

Figure out what is wired wrong in your harness before you plug another ecu in or else the same thing will happen to the new one.

Already figured out that the MAF plug was backwards and corrected it. Now if I could just find an ECU...

• 1 month later...

Life has been sooooo busy, this project has been on pause for over a month now. Still waiting for Jack to find an ECU. Really hard to stay motivated when the whole project is waiting on a part that seems impossible to find. Might even be moving the car over to my place so its more convenient to work on...

Linluv,

You are so much farther ahead than me, great work. Your start up video is great inspiration. Hope the electrical works itself out.

Bonk

ps - I am doing a blog of my R33 S1 build. www.billsrb240z.blogspot.com

HELLS YEAH! That one appears to be an earlier JECS model, just need to verify that it really is for an ER34 and will interchange with the Hitachi branded unit...

EDIT: Part no. checks out as an RB25DET NEO MT ecu!!!

Edited by linluv84