HybridZ

urethane zg fender flares

Kevlars30z

sure, if they look the same and are much more durable, why not??

edit: a few examples from a friends e30 build

FLARE4.jpg

his source...

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=717144191&Count2=634284615

Just curious, what did he do about the gas filler flap?

Edit: Thanks 19752802+2, I wasn't sure how to edit that quote.

Edited by jas280z

yeah, all of that would be taken into consideration before i had anything made, i know plenty of cars running abs plastic flares with zero issues.

Abs plastic flares...on a z? :o

Yes ABS would be a good cheap alternative. All the current generation of sport bikes comming from Japan are running ABS flastic farings and they have absolutely no problems.

I personally think that ABS would be a better alternative for ZG's than urethane.

Edited by logan1

Well urethane is stronger then both Fiberglass and ABS because urethane gives more and ABS can crack, but ABS might be cheaper and be easier to paint.

"Standard Fiberglass -

Pros: are it is very inexpensive, light weight, easily repairable, and vast selection of parts due to inexpensive tooling and manufacturing costs.

Cons: some parts may have inconsistencies and fitment problems depending on the manufacturer.

Urethane -

Pros: Very flexible and rugged

Cons: Very expensive to manufacture thus purchase prices are much higher, difficult to repair when damaged, small selection of products compared to fiberglass.

ABS:

Pros: Very cost effective to manufacture large quanities. Works great for front lips, spoilers, eyelids etc

Cons: Not easily repairable if damaged. Will tend to shatter if impacted in cold temperature."

Copied that from some forum, it was posted by someone who works in a body kit company.

Edited by 19752802+2

definitely good info, thats kind of what i was coming to with urethane, they would be too expensive, and i feel like the cracking in cold weather wouldn't be a huge issue, i don't think too many of us drive our cars when its THAT cold out.

edit: more good info, from my friends build...

"About 90% of the way through the install i discovered that these are made from a thermoplastic material, not thermoset. Urethane is a thermoset meaning it cannot be liquefied and still retain it's original properties. That said, the flares are ABS and are very easily molded with heat."

Edited by awoz87

• 8 months later...