HybridZ

BRAKE UPGRADE QUESTION

I am days away from getting my new 1973 240Z project car. One of the first things I want to upgrade is my brake setup.

I know I want to go with a 5 lug conversion and since I love performance I wanted to go with much larger calipers like 4 piston Brembos. I have been hearing nothing but great things when it comes to the new 370Zs brake setup. So I have been researching as much as I can to see if its possible to convert my 240Z with the 370Zs 5 lug (5x114.5) and front and rear caliper setup.

The reason behind the brake upgrade for my first modification is because I plan on getting some 17" Watanabe R Type wheels and want to have the brakes done to get the right bolt pattern for the wheels as well as the right offset. Any info on this topic would be great help for my.

Thanks for your guys time and info.

I am days away from getting my new 1973 240Z project car. One of the first things I want to upgrade is my brake setup.

I know I want to go with a 5 lug conversion and since I love performance I wanted to go with much larger calipers like 4 piston Brembos. I have been hearing nothing but great things when it comes to the new 370Zs brake setup. So I have been researching as much as I can to see if its possible to convert my 240Z with the 370Zs 5 lug (5x114.5) and front and rear caliper setup.

The reason behind the brake upgrade for my first modification is because I plan on getting some 17" Watanabe R Type wheels and want to have the brakes done to get the right bolt pattern for the wheels as well as the right offset. Any info on this topic would be great help for my.

Thanks for your guys time and info.

In general (and there are exceptions), brake caliper/rotor combinations designed for computer controlled ABS equipped cars tend to not be balanced front to rear if the ABS pump and computer are taken out of the system. For your plans the Modern Motorsports PBR or the Arizona Z Car Wilwood brake systems are a better choice.

In general (and there are exceptions), brake caliper/rotor combinations designed for computer controlled ABS equipped cars tend to not be balanced front to rear if the ABS pump and computer are taken out of the system. For your plans the Modern Motorsports PBR or the Arizona Z Car Wilwood brake systems are a better choice.

See I did not know that. LOL. I looked into those and it has been in the back of my mind whether or not to go with a setup something like that. I just want to do it right the first time and not have regrets and have to do it over again.

Now what about Brembo calipers?

I suggest hitting google filtered for australian sites, I know Holden brake kits have been fitted to Datsuns there, and there are brembo aftermarket kits to upgrade Holdens, plus modern Holden sports models come with brembos from factory.

You should be able to find some way of fitting a Holden brembo kit to your datsun there.

in order to run the 370Z brake setup, you would need a 19inch wheel to clear the diameter of the rotors/calipers if im not mistaken. not to mention custom brackets for the calipers, probably better off with the suggestions listed above.

Edited by sileightygx

Also, Watanabe R-types only come in sizes up to 16". They have another model, the RS, but it has a much shallower look to the rim. I think Rota and Vintage Wheel are the only readily available 8 spoke wheels with 17 inch sizing.