HybridZ

First start water or coolant?

This is practiced by myself each time I re-assemble the motor, but only because if I do have a leak and have to disassemble the heads or front end, I will not have to deal with the antifreeze and oil issue (especially when you have wonderful pet dog that spends a lot of time with you in the garage). Once I know all the seals and gaskets are holding up, then I add the antifreeze.

Agreed! only had antifreeze in mine at all because I believed that the motor would be fine since it had been built by a pro - duh! At least it wasn't a full "normal" waterantifreeze mix and was mostly water. I'd say leave it in there long enough to get the motor fully warm and broken in, then drain and replace with the correct solution. It'll still rust some but not much (shrug).

The antifreeze is what keeps it from freezing the pressure cap is what raises the bioling point of the water/coolant mix straight water has a better heat transfer rate than a 50/50 mix but will corrode very quickly I've always left the water in until I was positive there were no leaks and I had heat cycled the engine a few times (average was about 4 days) then I drain and add the mix with a dose of RED LINE water wetter. Hope this has helped.

Not too long. icon_smile.gif The problems are rust in the block (heads too if iron) and obviously for some of us, freezing in certain parts of the year.

I'd say after you are sure it will stay together and there are no leaks, drain the water and put in coolant.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, like the other guys said, I put it in after I'm sure theres no leaks, I've checked the oil for no water and it comes to pressure then I put in the antifreeze. On the Howe radiator I have I just thought about the drain plug, like it doesn't have one... I may put in one of those inline drains between two pieces of hose for the bottom radiator hose to make it easier in the future.

Oh well, I was rambling... Has anyone tryed that 40 below product? I saw big daddy garlits promo'ing the stuff on one of those horsepower TV shows, or some such show like that. Supposed to lower your temperatures up to 40 deg (extreme circumstance, but I think if it showed 10 or 20 deg it might be worth it.).

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Red line makes water wetter. But you won't get you temp down unless you go over 210. Apparently it doesn't "kick-in" till that temp (or higher). So if you're running 190 and want to get your temp down to 180 forget it.

Huh?! That's not true! Water Wetter breaks down surface tension at all temps. This allows the heat to better transfer to the coolant from the metal in the engine. I've used it in a stock Mustang with a 190 thermostat and seen NOTICABLE changes in temp even looking at the crappy stock gauge. The stuff works and doesn't require high temps or pressures to do it's job. Mind you if the cooling system is able to do it's job well you probably won't notice a temp change but it WILL be working and helping to keep bad things from occuring. If you've got a cooling system that can't keep up or a weak fan the Water Wetter may be enough to keep things under control - in this case you would certainly notice a difference on the temp gauge.

As a side note, people who overclock computers and cool them with water (yes, I've done this) have also noted diferences using Water Wetter. They've also found that the additive used to remove spots in the dishwasher worked just as well for less money. However that chemicals effects on the water pumps etc. are unknown so beware if you choose to do this - I'd use it in an intercooler setup before I'd use it in an engine. ANY chemical that breaks surface tension and doesn't lower the boiling temp should work and there are probably other common household chemicals that have this effect.

Side note: The old pelletized Water Wetter was best IMO since it had anti-freezeanti-corrosive additives in it but it would turn nasty colors while sitting on the shelf and was dropped (apparently). They claimed lack of demand, I claim the retailers didn't like the way it looked after it sat and that no one would buy something that looked that ugly icon_biggrin.gif

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Speaking of antifreeze/coolant, I hear some guys at the track are running an "Industrial grade" coolant. I think it's made by or branded through Cummins(?). They run 50/50 with water (I think) and add another ingredient to keep the aluminum heads and such from corroding. Has anyone ever heard of that?

There's also a company selling a cooling system replacement product. It requires an upgraded water pump I think but I don't recall the name. Sounded pretty hi-tech but it wasn't cheap and I didn't wish to risk my motor using it. Apparently you can run hotter engine temps using it.

Guest Tht1KSguy

i'd bet you mean Conklin they make "industrial grade" products (whatever that means) being from a rural community growing up i know a lot of farmers that run their oil and gear lube with great results... i think u have to know a distributor to get the stuff

Ryan