HybridZ

SU's + colortune

SHRALP_GNAR

I recently picked myself up a colortune and I've been dialing in my SU's. After an hour or two of tinkering I got the spark to stay a consistent blue at idle and at sustained throttle. But under quick or heavy throttle it flashes bright orange (rich). I currently have ATF in the dampers, which i know is a little on the light side but it is all i had handy. It seems like I would get a lean spot with lighter weight fluid. I've also messed with the needle placement and it seems better with the needles shoved all the way in and the mixture leaned out.

I guess it's not that big-O-deal to have a rich spot under acceleration but if anyone has any thoughts please jot'em down.

thanks

• 1 year later...

Colortune is Colortune. The difference is the thread size and reach.

Alas, the anodized aluminum tubes and polished stainless mirrors are now gone...replaced by plastic tubes and vacuum-chromed plastic mirrors, but they work just as well as they always did.

Have you read the directions in the CT? A little orange on initial acceleration is tolerable.

Welcome to "Layman's WBO2, circa 1979!"

Welcome to "Layman's WBO2, circa 1979!"

6 of these with 6 web cam pointing at them, all recorded on a laptop .. then you could compare cylinder to cylinder, instead of a 'over all' reading from a wbo2, unless you run 6 wbo2... just a thought

Edited by Noddle

6 of these with 6 web cam pointing at them, all recorded on a laptop .. then you could compare cylinder to cylinder, instead of a 'over all' reading from a wbo2, unless you run 6 wbo2... just a thought

Or you can put in 6 EGT sensors and get a 6 actual numbers that can be data-logged instead of a purely visual and subjective reading. It would presumably be cheaper than 6 colortunes and 6 cameras as well.

EGT isn't the end all of cylinder health. It's not a consistent reporter of AFR.

The way to do it is 6 WBO2's...and individual EGT's. This is what you have on an engine dyno.

A colortune in the front three, and another in the back three will get you what you need to compare carb mixture setting.

Same for any of the other two.