HybridZ

PUTNEYS CUSTOM MACHINE IN CALI

angry_dave24

Have any of you ever heard of Putneys custom machine out of California. I have been shopping for an engine builder, and he seems pretty legit. Cost for an l28 with a decent cam, ported polished, 5 angle valve job head, with nice pistons, pushing 9.7:1 compression with valve cover, and oil pump, and harmonic balancer all for about 2500 bones. I will later install some triple webers, and the mallory unilite distributor, Is this a decent deal, and does he do as good a job as he says he does? He says his engines are as good as rebello racing engines, but I have no real idea. Wanted all of your opinions before I pony up the dough. Thanks. I will get the cam specs when I get a chance and post it for you all. My first z build, want to do the ls1 t 56 but I just don't have that kind of chedder. I just want a nice daily driver, with a decent amount of oomph...... About camaro z 28 fast would be plenty, with better handling of course :rolleyes:

Edited by angry_dave24

I have not heard of them, but I am also on the East coast. For $2500, is that just for machine work (you provide engine), or is that for a whole rebuilt long block? If it were for a brand-new rebuilt engine, I would say that is a pretty fair price. Especially if they put any sort of warranty on their work. I'm sure if they are as good as they say they are, they will be willing to provide you with a handful of customer references that you can speak with.

That comes with a warranty, and they provide the core. Kinda stupid to ship a core engine to California, at least thats what they figure. I just wish I could see some dyno numbers from one of these. Listen to it run. But alas I live in the anus of the states, in lower Alabama. I miss big cities, dang army!!!!!!!!!

That comes with a warranty, and they provide the core. Kinda stupid to ship a core engine to California, at least thats what they figure. I just wish I could see some dyno numbers from one of these. Listen to it run. But alas I live in the anus of the states, in lower Alabama. I miss big cities, dang army!!!!!!!!!

Look up walker auto works in bermuda dunes CA they do some top notch engines there.

No way in hell would I have a shop build me an engine without being being able to check the place out in person. Unless it was somewhere like rebello, have a VERY extensive reputation for great work AND have people with dyno numbers/testimonials to back them up.

Cost for an l28 with a decent cam, ported polished, 5 angle valve job head, with nice pistons, pushing 9.7:1 compression with valve cover, and oil pump, and harmonic balancer all for about 2500 bones.... Is this a decent deal, and does he do as good a job as he says he does? He says his engines are as good as rebello racing engines, but I have no real idea.

Sounds too cheap to me if that includes both a head and block core, parts, machining, assembly, and freight. I've never heard of that company and the comparison to Rebello worries me. How many road races have his L6 engines won? How many national championships? Dave's engines have won more then a few of these.

Hey what can I say, I'm nieve about these things, not super bright when it comes to cars, a beginner really, this is why I wanted the opinion of all of you more experienced z heads. I just want a decent l28 for ease of install, and simplicity. I just want to be able to run a 14 in the quarter, you know keep up with gt mustangs. nothing crazy, yet :D Probably going to go the progression of l28, to l28et, then to ls1, maybe an rb25. I will never give this car up, searched too long and hard to find one in this good of shape. Too bad the engine was crap two weeks after I got it. Sucked a valve. And yeah I could go and inspect the shop building the engine, but I really wouldnt know what to look for, I am a shadetree mechanic at best like I said. So ask him for customer feedback, maybe telephone numbers, some dyno sheets too would be nice.

Edited by angry_dave24