HybridZ

Right side net install

JMortensen

I bought a right side net from a circle track safety manufacturer and it didn't fit my Z at all. So I went back and asked some racers and was turned onto the Safety Solutions net. I bought it a few months back along with a head restraint for the seat (just to keep the net off the helmet. I went to install the net today and I like it, but it specifically warns about the net sloping in towards the driver's head. I wrapped the net over the top of the cage to try and keep that to a minimum, and I think it's OK now, just looking for someone to give me a thumbs up on this. Also, I had to put the front part of the mount over on the passenger side of the dash bar because it looked like it was really close to the steering wheel. This makes the whole net kinda slope away from the driver's seat when viewed from the rear. Is that OK? Was thinking a possible solution there would be to bolt a bracket to the original dash mounting holes and then hook the strap way up front there, this would keep the ratchet farther away from the steering wheel. I think the problem that I would have now is that if my wife wanted to drive the car there isn't enough adjustment in the ratchet strap to allow it. The first net I tried was way too short. This one is bordering on too long for me, probably is too long to scoot the seat up for my wife.

Feedback (good or bad) appreciated as always.

post-553-12725820589943_thumb.jpg

post-553-12725820617124_thumb.jpg

post-553-12725820632663_thumb.jpg

post-553-127258206432_thumb.jpg

post-553-12725820655565_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMortensen

There is a window net as well although it's not installed right now. The right side net keeps your head/torso from moving towards the center of the car in an accident. Becoming a requirement in more and more racing sanctions, and I wanted one due to that big bar right down the center of my cage.

Just for the sake of posting the resolution, I moved the seat forward and the tension on the net barely changed at all. One click on the ratchet and it was tight again, so I'm leaving it where it is and cutting the straps to fit.

Here's from the SCCA GCR:

9.3.30. INSIDE NET

An inside net running between the main roll hoop and the dash is recommended

for all production-based cars and two-seater Sports Racing cars

(see figure 6). It is recommended that the lower strand of the net pass the

shoulder and run horizontally from the cage to the dash. The upper strand

should pass the Cg of the helmet in the side view. The net should run

parallel to the center of the car in plain view and be as close to the seat

as possible. It is recommended that the net be tensioned tightly and have

a way to quickly disconnect it in case the driver needs to exit through

the car in an emergency. Metal collars, or some other equivalent method,

should be used to keep the strands of the net from moving along the roll

cage. If possible, the recommended mounting method is to wrap the net

strands around the back of the seat and attach them to the main hoop

upright. However, teams should consult the net manufacturer to verify

their recommended method of mounting.

From the above I think you may need to position the front mount more towards you as a driver to get the net more parallel with the centerline of the car. You may also want to move the whole net down a couple inches.

From the above I think you may need to position the front mount more towards you as a driver to get the net more parallel with the centerline of the car. You may also want to move the whole net down a couple inches.

I just went out and swapped it from one side of the center bar in the dash to the other and did some checking. It looks like its just about exactly as far from the steering wheel as the A pillar bar is on the other side, so I think I'll leave it. If I have problems there I'm pretty screwed, because I can't really move the A pillar bar. I suppose I could move the steering wheel closer. I did read the manufacturer's info on the cg of the helmet, and I think the top strap in the net is right there. In deference to your warning I'll just hold off on cutting the straps until I can get in the seat and check it. I don't want to take the seat back out to do that and although I used to climb into the seat while it was on the rotisserie, I don't think I can safely do that with the door bars in there, so it will have to come off the spit before I can check it out.

I used to climb into the seat while it was on the rotisserie, I don't think I can safely do that with the door bars in there, so it will have to come off the spit before I can check it out.

Couple beers, couple friends, and this could be a fun ride!

your cage looks fantastic by the way.. especially with PAINT!!!

:cheers: Thanks. It's two steps forward, one step back for me as usual, but it is starting to look more and more like a car. The good news is parts are going ON the car now.