HybridZ

New here:: Getting an 83 280zx Turbo

Adam87

Hi, My name is Adam, I've lurked these forums and others for a while. I use to have an 81 280zx NA, now my daily driver is an 88 300zx NA GLL although 280's are my favorite. Here is why I am posting, Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be getting a 1983 280zx turbo that I found.

So here is the story. I found this guy that is selling this 280 for parts. He bought it just to rip it apart for scrap metal. The car looks to be in decent shape, outside anyway. It has 700037 original miles on it. The original own had trouble with it, said it started sputtering and he thought the turbo was going out so he parked it. That was in 1989, per the inspection stick thats on it. Apparently someone busted out the driver window and stole the t-tops so the guy replaced them but didn't fix the window. So the car has been sitting on a concrete pad under a car port with the window open so the interior has a lot of trash and dirt in it.

The scrap metal guy had a mechanic look at. He turned the engine over buy hand to make sure it wasn't locked up and I guess he tried to start it because he said the started wouldn't engage.

I am going to look at Thursday.

I have been looking around online about starting a car thats been sitting for years and I have some questions.

I know i have to change the fluids: water, oil, fuel :: all the filters, air, oil, fuel. and I'll give it a tune up and troubleshoot the ignition problem.

Do yall think I will need to replace the fuel tank, line and pump, or can I just pull them off clean them and put them back on?

I'll attach some pics he sent me. Oh and he wants $500 for it and will deliver it to my house for free. I'm really excited about this car.

Thanks,

Adam

post-11564-12726727636138_thumb.jpgpost-11564-12726727845651_thumb.jpg

post-11564-12726728576863_thumb.jpgpost-11564-12726731426899_thumb.jpg

post-11564-12726729132046_thumb.jpgpost-11564-12726729222994_thumb.jpg

post-11564-12726728973452_thumb.jpg

Nice find for 500 bucks. You made sure the engine turns right? Chances are you'll need a new tank, you might be o.k. with the pump and such. Although, maybe not cause the lines or pump could have been the orignal sputtering problem, but thats just conjecture. Your best bet is to replace all of the fuel related stuff, it has been sitting outside for 20years B)

Nice find for 500 bucks. You made sure the engine turns right? Chances are you'll need a new tank, you might be o.k. with the pump and such. Although, maybe not cause the lines or pump could have been the orignal sputtering problem, but thats just conjecture. Your best bet is to replace all of the fuel related stuff, it has been sitting outside for 20years B)

Any idea where I could order a fuel tank?

Any idea where I could order a fuel tank?

Looks like an excellent find! Great job, and luck. You can begin looking on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum section. It is right below the GENERAL forums tab underneath motorsports/events. You can post a wanted thread in the appropriate place too. Someone is bound to have one to sell you; i would not doubt it. So give that a try first, and then seek elsewhere such as other online forums (Z's) and/or call around town. You will find more than you have thought ever "still existed".

Also, make sure to click around the site and get yourself situated so you know where things are. You will make mistakes posting in the wrong section most likely, just as i have even though i have been on the site a while... Read up, use the partially-talented search bar (I get mad at it sometimes..) and you will be rewarded with a heightened learning curve so to speak.

Hope things work out for you, that 280ZX looks to be a good one. Again, congrats.

I had my tank coated by Moyer's Tanks, Inc. in Greensburg PA www.gas-tank.com

This was a more than I wanted to pay but I went from a tank with a rust hole in it to one better than new.

I also have a tank off of my 82 zxt but it would at least need a good dip cleaning at a local shop ($20 if you want it, you pay shipping from 62401). Your tank might just need a good cleaning as well but this is hit or miss in my opinion. I would make sure whoever looked at it did it for free.

WOW fantastic find! Plus you are saving a perfectly good car from the scraper. Tank may be ok, but you are going to have to look.

70k on engine, thing was just getting broken in. Even the dash looks to be in decent shape!

Edited by woldson

I had my tank coated by Moyer's Tanks, Inc. in Greensburg PA www.gas-tank.com

This was a more than I wanted to pay but I went from a tank with a rust hole in it to one better than new.

I also have a tank off of my 82 zxt but it would at least need a good dip cleaning at a local shop ($20 if you want it, you pay shipping from 62401). Your tank might just need a good cleaning as well but this is hit or miss in my opinion. I would make sure whoever looked at it did it for free.

I'm definitely going to try cleaning it all out first. Hopefully thats all it'll need. Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.

WOW fantastic find! Plus you are saving a perfectly good car from the scraper. Tank may be ok, but you are going to have to look.

70k on engine, thing was just getting broken in. Even the dash looks to be in decent shape!

I know! I can't wait to pick it up. Plus my birthday is next week, so I have my parents and my girlfriend giving me money to get it :).

Lucky man!......your girlfiend is giving you money! Oh, and great find with the car by they way. What part of NC do you live in? Any plans for it?

I know right.. .haha...

I just moved from belmont to charlotte a few months ago. Finally got out of my parents house :).

My initial plans are to get it back to original condition, running and handling good and clean inside and out. As far as upgrades to start off: manual boost controller, intercool, exhaust. One day maybe megasquirts, bigger injects / fuel pump and turbo....maybe...

• 2 weeks later...

She was dropped off at my house friday. Spent the weekend cleaning it up.

Before....

imagejpeg_2f.jpg

After...

SDC10903.jpg

Going to put new carpet in after shes running good. Everything else cleaned up nicely.

Looks pretty good cleaned up. Find any fun stuff? I found a bag of pennies in my 240sx when I took out the carpet. Nothing neat when I took apart my zxt other than a crap ton of wiring that went nowhere. :blink:

Watch for spiders and small mammals!

Looks pretty good cleaned up. Find any fun stuff? I found a bag of pennies in my 240sx when I took out the carpet. Nothing neat when I took apart my zxt other than a crap ton of wiring that went nowhere. :blink:

Watch for spiders and small mammals!

haha. Actually yea. Found what looks like a decomposed rat... gross. Apparently the original owner like cigars, Marlboro, Country music and golf. Found Cigar tubes, Lighters, Golf Ts and balls, like 5 cassette tapes and this weird marlboro key chain dated 1985 still in the pack... lol

Haha wow I thought that dash was brown but I guess I was mistaken, Nice find looks like it should be a nice project. Girlfriends that loan money are the best. :D

So did I when I seen the pics he sent. I didn't know it was black untill I seen the car in person and saw the traces of black under the brown. lol

• 1 year later...