HybridZ

Resetting Timing

I ran into trouble trying to set the timing on my 82zx after replacing the engine. The replacement engine is a L28 out of an 81. The timing is retarded past the point that the slots in the dist. will allow for. I tried dropping the oil pump and spindle and pulling the dist. off and reassembling everything to the 82 FSM ( and Haynes). It is still about 10 degrees? retarded. Which way should I line up the punch mark in relationship to the oil hole on the pump? About how much? I think it's an 81 turbo auto pump if it matters.

Thanks

I'm sure you've already pulled the distributor and set the oil pump shaft to the proper position with the engine at TDC.

If you still cant turn the Dist enough to get the proper timing, the timing marks on the pulley may be off, or the cam gear was not positioned correctly when the timing chain was installed ?

I'd pull the distributor, pull the valve cover, ensure you are at TDC and verify the timing marks on the pulley, and start fresh setting the timing ?

You might refer to the '81 or '82 FSM if the Haynes manual is a little vague. I think the site is XenonS30.com or something like that.

I recently replaced a timing set and degreed a cam on a '75 which is probably similar since they share the same block (but not distributor). I agree with goldfish that you should verify TDC first. With a piston stop, its a very simply process. If you have a dial mic you can also verify your cam timing while your in there. If your engine has a lot of miles, the timing can be advanced using the stock cam gear.

With regard to advancing the distributor timing, I believe that looking down on the distributor shaft you would want to move the shaft one gear clockwise. The '75 FSM describes the proper shaft position to be 11:25 (o'clock). Might be different on an '81.

You could also count the number of gears on the dizzy shaft sprocket and divide that number into 360. That would tell you how many degrees moving the shaft one gear will advance (or retard) the timing.

Best of luck.