HybridZ

my 240 is missing something

dangerboy

i purchased a 71 240z saturday and it had more rust than i was expecting but was close and in my budget. the floor pans, rocker panels, and frame rails are all shot. the battery tray is also shot, but rusted to the point that there is a hole in the firewall and half the wheel well is missing. im not really sure what i should do 1st so im posting here to get any tips. from browsing the forums for months im pretty sure you guys have all been here and done this. do i need to pull the motor to get things fixed (by a shop) properly and would the motor being in effect the cost? also will i have to find an unrusted wheel well from a donor car to replace mine? thank you in advance for any advice offered. ive included a picture of where the battery tray should be to give you guys a better idea.

datsun1.bmp

datsun.bmp

datsun2.bmp

To be totally honest. It will be much easier and cheaper to pay attention next time you buy a car (not trying to be discouraging) I made this mistake already. I got mine to the point where there was no rust left in that same area of the battery tray and everything left. But I just had a huge hole. Not enough skill to fix it and not enough time or money.

If you have the money or knowhow that can be fixed. It will either take a lot money or a lot of your time. If the bad areas are that bad it means that the "good" parts are on their way out too, so it will involve a lot more than just those few spots that you mentioned. I don't really see the point in having a $40k dollar stock 240z but I know some people would choose to fix it. I work at a pretty expensive restoration shop and you wouldn't beleive what people are OK with paying for cars that are just not worth it.

So yeah, that's a parts car if you have any sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say it boils down to what your future plans are. If you had intensions to gut the car and put it on a rotissie, then floor pans ,frame rails and battery tray wouldnt being a problem following a good sand blast. Then again, if its not a show car, patch it up and call it a day!

i actually bought a 260z today with a rebuilt motor that only needs floor pans and is 5 mins from my house for less money than the boat anchor that was 2 hours away and has more holes than a game of whack-a-mole. my roomie picked up a miller mig welder last week and hopefully that combined with the 2 cars can make 1 running and solid piece of machinery.