HybridZ

My headlight conversion

Guest Big Phil

Guest Big Phil

Well after several months of searching I have found the perfect headlight conversion for my 78 280z. I wanted a round 7 inch headlight with a integrated turnsignal. I just ordered a set of headlight assemblies for a 2002 ford thunderbird. I thought about using Mercedes E type or Jaguar X type units but there were some size and mounting issues I got them from my buddy who works at an autobody shop. I'll post pictures as soon as I'm finished. Here are some photos of a thunderbird.

Big Phil

Ford Thunderbird photo gallery

Guest Big Phil

There are alot of cool headlight combinations available these days. I choose the 2002 thunderbird lights because the housing is about 7 inches in diameter so it shouldn't be too difficult to integrate them into the stock headlight buckets. I believe HID is a factory option but it would increase the price dramatically. I also want an intergrated turnsignal so I can clean up the frontend.I want to modernize the look of my 280 without changing the overall body lines of the car so I'm pretty much limited to single round headlights. Other round headlight options.

2000+ Jaguar X type ( have to separate assembly and use larger part)

1998+ Mercedes Benz E type( have to separate assembly and use larger part)

1999+ Volkswagon Beetle (little too big & no built turnsignal)

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know because I could save some cash if I could get something from a junkyard.

Phil

Owen,

The whole assembly might be too big from the Beetle, but after removing the lens, etc. the internal assembly that actually holds the lights together is not so big. Before you decide against it, try looking at an assembly and seeing if there is a way you might be able to make it work. You could still use a clear Z headlight cover for a lens.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

How about the Dodge Neon headlites? They'd be flatter across the grill and not as deeply angled.. Its what I was going to consider if I decided to do any sort of custom body work, havn't measured them though.

Regards,

Lone

My friend just bought some 7 inch rounds that have turnsignals and foglights included in the 7 inch housing . they look awesome but they havent been installed on her car yet. they where not very expencive . here is the link for the pic

http://www.memoimports.com/3phCABBIon.JPG

http://www.memoimports.com/memo1_1001H_turn_on.JPG

I am thinking about getting a set for my z icon_biggrin.gif

~Kenny

Guest zthang43

Those are some neat looking lights. How much $$$?

What about the newer jeeps with the round headlights? No turn signals, and I've never looked at them close, but those might be a possibility, and could be found in a junkyard.

Guest Anonymous

that looks sweet! I want to know how much those are to buy Kennysgreen280zt!!!! They look like an easy install. The last pic was a bug wasn't it. Very similar mounting if I remember.

"DOH! now im not goin to be the first to get them!!!"

- That's why you gotta keep these things secret and then spring them on the rest of us when you're done smile.gif

I wonder if that lower bulb is for drive? Or maybe its a city-light? Oh, sorry, its a fog light.

Anyone know where I can get a set of those Beetle headlights to play around with? Even if they're cracked or broken. Haven't seen any in the yards around here.

Owen