HybridZ

S30 LSX Exhaust options

Hey David!

I REALLY plan on driving mine everyday, so I want it to be real quiet... I'm thinking I might try running 2.5 inch pipes off the headers into a X pipe then 2.5" pipes back to 2 Borla mufflers if I can fit them side by side on the drivers side in the stock location - These mufflers have proven to be the best flowing and quietest that I can find - http://www.borla.com...x?cat=2&type=43

If that is too loud I can add resonators (hopefully)

Would love to hear thoughts/feedback/opinions on this option...

Ken

Ken,

I hear you about quiet. I would like mine to be quieter too. I think that the Borlas would be a good option. If and when I get around to reding my exhaust, I would consider duals all the way back with one muffler on each side and cut out the rear lower valance on the passenger side to mathc the cutout on the drivers side. I think finding 2 mufflers that will fit in the stock location and quiet the LSx motor enough for a DD will be a tough feat. Maybe if you add the resonators.

I can't wait to see how you do it. Keep us posted.

Ken,

I hear you about quiet. I would like mine to be quieter too. I think that the Borlas would be a good option. If and when I get around to reding my exhaust, I would consider duals all the way back with one muffler on each side and cut out the rear lower valance on the passenger side to mathc the cutout on the drivers side. I think finding 2 mufflers that will fit in the stock location and quiet the LSx motor enough for a DD will be a tough feat. Maybe if you add the resonators.

I can't wait to see how you do it. Keep us posted.

I had a long conversation with the guys at Borla today - discussing my goals and trying to find a perfect solution...

They suggested eliminating the X-Pipe and putting an X-Pipe muffler in it's place... Their part number is 400286 and the dimensions are 19" x 9 1/2" x 4" - they said it would work much better than dual resonators and not sacrifice flow... Also, they said I should consider going with 2 1/4" (equal to a 3" inch single pipe) pipes instead of 2 1/2" as many have said a 3" pipe after their y pipe configurations is supporting 405 rwhp in some cases - if 2 1/4" will work it will solve additional clearance issues and be quieter - the x-pipe muffler along with 2 1/4" pipes and the 2 Borla turbo mufflers in the back they say would definitely meet my goals

Similar to this except the pipes would continue to the rear into 2 Borla turbo mufflers:

med_DSC03234.JPG

Edited by kjones

I had a long conversation with the guys at Borla today - discussing my goals and trying to find a perfect solution...

They suggested eliminating the X-Pipe and putting an X-Pipe muffler in it's place... Their part number is 400286 and the dimensions are 19" x 9 1/2" x 4" - they said it would work much better than dual resonators and not sacrifice flow... Also, they said I should consider going with 2 1/4" (equal to a 3" inch single pipe) pipes instead of 2 1/2" as many have said a 3" pipe after their y pipe configurations is supporting 405 rwhp in some cases - if 2 1/4" will work it will solve additional clearance issues and be quieter - the x-pipe muffler along with 2 1/4" pipes and the 2 Borla turbo mufflers in the back they say would definitely meet my goals

Similar to this except the pipes would continue to the rear into 2 Borla turbo mufflers:

med_DSC03234.JPG

The only issue I see using that X-Pipe Muffler is the depth. 4" will take away from the ground clearance. My car is low but not too low and I doubt I would have room for that under my car without raising the coilovers up some. I don't know about your area but here we have lots of speed bumps and I rub on some of them now.

The only issue I see using that X-Pipe Muffler is the depth. 4" will take away from the ground clearance. My car is low but not too low and I doubt I would have room for that under my car without raising the coilovers up some. I don't know about your area but here we have lots of speed bumps and I rub on some of them now.

David,

I did some measuring - On my 280z (which has a stock indentation for a resonator in the tranny tunnel) it will fit up high enough that it will not create any clearance issues (hopefully). I think the 240Z has less clearance in that spot. I will crawl under my 240Z later in the week to verify... those pics that I posted appear to all be 240's - I'm liking the idea of the x-pipe muffler since it accomplishes the same as a regular x-pipe but also will quiet things down.

Now that I have that part settled i'm trying to figure out what to do with the rear muffler - basically a few choices -

1. buy a single muffler will dual inlets and a single 3" outlet and run both pipes to it

2. try to fit 2 mufflers in the stock location as previously discussed (still working on those possibilities but fitment will be tough) - may have to modify the spare tire well to pull it off

3. Another possibility which I haven't put much thought into is to run a dual in/out and lay it flat in the stock location like this: post-154-038718800 1279281430_thumb.jpg

Some other pics to check out downloaded from who knows where pertaining to number 2:

post-154-064318700 1279281494_thumb.jpg

post-154-031484800 1279281542_thumb.jpg

Edited by kjones

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...