HybridZ

Clunk, Clunk, Bang!

So I was driving with my girlfriend today (destination Palm Springs) for a little getaway; half way there I hear, "Clunk, Clunk, BANG!" I pulled over on the 10 freeway to see that this completely separated on the passenger side from the rearend.

My question to all you fine folks out there; What happened? Why would it pop out? Is it normal wear and tear for that to happen or is it something else that would cause that to happen?

Another question, is the whole thing called a halfshaft and the part that popped out the U-Joint? How difficult would it be for a person like me (novice wrenching abilities, but the gumption to do) to fix it myself?

Thanks!

post-11260-12750087473516_thumb.jpg

post-11260-12750087763067_thumb.jpg

post-11260-12750088752088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tyler

Its not too hard for the average person. You gotta get it up on jacks and remove the effected tire. Then get creative with a 9/16 wrench if my memory is correct. Grind it down on the box end so it fits on the wheel side of your axle. Remove the four nuts and do the same on the differential side. A socked extension and universal joint socket should do the trick. Also mark the location according to the input and output flanges so you can put it correctly back together, Once you got both pieces out, it helps if you have a large C-clamp or bench vice and some larger sockets.

I can't remember if there are C-clips on the u-joint caps (that's the part that fell off exposing the shiny part of your u joint, so somebody please add to that.)

From there you press out one cap at a time by getting a larger socket on one side, large enough that the cap can fit into it, and then a socket that will fit into the opposite side. Start clamping down and you should press it out half way. Then the u-joint will be able to be manipulated out

Most parts stores also sell/ rent a tool for this. Also buy a new u-joint, that's necessary.

Installation is the reverse of this procedure. Make sure that the mating sides of your axle are nice and clean, and clean and paint what ever you can while you're under there if you have the time. Maby somebody here has the FSM handy to get the exact torques, but 1/6 - 1/3 past sharp rise in torque should do the trick. Don't forget to put anti seize any parts that have threads, it makes the job 100X easier the next go around.

It would be a good thing to inspect the other side and replace if it shows any sign of wear.

It should take about an afternoon, some knuckle blood and frustration.

Did I miss anything?

Have fun, sorry about the mishap but its all part of being a car guy.

So I was driving with my girlfriend today (destination Palm Springs) for a little getaway; half way there I hear, "Clunk, Clunk, BANG!" I pulled over on the 10 freeway to see that this completely separated on the passenger side from the rearend.

My question to all you fine folks out there; What happened? Why would it pop out? Is it normal wear and tear for that to happen or is it something else that would cause that to happen?

Another question, is the whole thing called a halfshaft and the part that popped out the U-Joint? How difficult would it be for a person like me (novice wrenching abilities, but the gumption to do) to fix it myself?

Thanks!

That is the half-shaft and what remains of a u-joint.

Yes, there is a clip on the inside that holds the bearing cup in. Hard to see, it's probably covered in grease and grime. Yours must have popped off probably because someone previous did not get it all the way on. They can be tough to get in the groove. The bearing cup can't come out if the clip is in.

Here is a link I found in the past with pictures, and more advice on changing them. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27855&highlight=u-joint