HybridZ

Camaro T5 question

Hi there;

I got a quick question regarding the fitment of the T5 on my 240z. The JTR manual states the a camaro t5 with the tilted bell housing is best for the 240 since it places the shifter closer to the driver. I got the tilted bellhousing and it makes it impossible to fit the shifter through the stock hole as seen on the picture. Did i miss something or did i do something wrong? :blink:http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/jonas240z/IMG_4831.jpg

I'm also having trouble fitting the starter, does that have anything to do with it? It just wont go on it hits the bellhousing. This is the starter: http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/jonas240z/IMG_4921.jpg

Can't offer you anything on the starter. On the slanty T5, I had to trim a small bit off the left side of the shifter hole for it to clear. Not much, about a 1/2". I just used tin snips and cut a semi-circular shap out. Your picture angle could be deceiving, but it looks like the tailshaft of the tranny is too far to the left. Before you cut the shifter hole any bigger I would suggest you align the driveshaft u-joints. This may move the tailshaft over enough that no trimming is required.

JMHO I love the T5 for this swap. As long as you don't abuse it I think it's the perfect manual for a V8Z. Good gear ratios and enough of them in a light package.

Thanks for the help Dan. So is it common that the hole does not allow the shifter to come out without trimming? It almost looks like it's better to have the bellhousing that mounts it stright up instead of 15 degree tilt. I'm also going to use a Hurst short throw shifter if that makes any differance.

The starter hits the bellhousing clearance hole and does not allow it to be bolted to the block.

If I recall correctly, my starter has the holes opposite one another not offset (one forward one closer to the rear of the car.) Also Do you have the engine and tranny in the car alreday? Make sure you have the correct brackets and offset plates on the correct sides of the engine.

The engine and tranny are already installed. I placed the motor mounts according to the JTR manual (or so i think), ill post a picture of the install later on when i am home. Does anyone have a picture the shows how it's supposed to look compared to my setup?

The starter has an offset pattern but the block does as well. The reason it doesn't fit is that the bellhousing does not allow the starter to mount flush on the block. The "hole" on the bellhousing for the starter interferes with the top (where the gear is) of the starter. It's supposed to be a gear reduction starter #3 on the JTR manual. An it does look the same. So I'm a little clueless, im not that knowledgeable about chevy motors.

post-540-1275296590724_thumb.jpgSo here are some pictures that illustrate my problem. I placed the drivers side spacer that way to clear my custom headers. The red circles show the areas that interfere with the starter mounting. So what do you guys think? Why is my shifter so far to the left? Can i use a Hurst short throw shifter? How come the gear reduction starter does not fit? What starter fits? If you guys have pictures of your install, those would help as well...thanks! :Dpost-540-12752963440391_thumb.jpg

post-540-12752963686262_thumb.jpg

post-540-12752964091318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonas240z

Your transmission should be lined up with the center-line of the chassis. The transmission is pointing way off to the left. Get yourself an angle finder if you have to, even eyeball it (not recommended), but don't leave it there like that.

Davy

I think you might be right Davy, I made a little rendering on MS paint and the angles look off. Well i'll check it better when i get home tomorrow, that's probably the reason why the shifter doesn't come out where it's supposed to. I guess that what you get when you do things in a hurry. :D

Here is what i did after a little adjustment, the tranny seams to line up better with the differential now and i got more clearance for the shifter but still not enough. My shifter is just laid on top and i'm unable to bolt it. Is that about right for the possition. I really appreciate the help thanks. ;)post-540-12754706562313_thumb.jpgpost-540-12754706730822_thumb.jpg

If you're using the JTR engine mounts, the engine is offset one inch to the right. I offset the rear of the trans the same amount to keep the CL of the engine trans parallel to the chassis. This helps center up the shifter and makes it easier to get the driveshaft u joint angles the same. I don't remember if the JTR trans mount is offset or not, but I modified mine anyway to help out with exhaust clearance.

jt

Also check to see if you have your tranny mount in reversed. The tranny mount hole is offset in the mount. You may also have to slot the hole to get proper driveshaft angles. Don't worry about the shifter hole untill you have the driveshaft in and aligned. You're getting your install steps out of order.

Edited by Dan Juday

I appreciate the help form all of you guys. I think the motor mounts are in the right position as show on the pic above. I didn't know the tranny mount was offset as well. I'll also take a look at it. The drive shaft angle is off still so i'll do what i need to make it work. Thanks again! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

keep moving the trans over until the shift fits.

you have the wrong starter. the starter you have fits the 168 tooth flywheel. I can tell from the diagonal bolt pattern on the starter.

you should be using the 153 tooth starter which has the bolt pattern on the starter straight across from each other.

the block will have both starter patterns.

Jonas, that looks perfect. Just need to trim a little like Dan suggested earlier and you are ready to go.

Just another note, if that trans does not hold up, it is a fairly easy upgrade / rebuild to a harder set of gears. Get with Kevin at http://www.thegearbox.org/home.html he can help you through the entire deal.

Edited by BillZ260

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up moving up the trans to the right a little more and the shifter barely fits ;) . It will still need to be trimed. Also i placed a laser at the outputshaft and it still does not line up perfectly with the rear end flange. It's about 3/16 to 1/4 inch of center. Is that acceptable? or do i keep moving it more? I already trimmed the trans crossmember mounting hole a little. Thanks for the help guys