HybridZ

quarter panel replacement

biohzrd

i'm sure this has been covered before but i can't find it anywhere. i was wondering a couple of things.

1: how hard is it to replace the rear quarters on a 70 240

2: where can you find replacements at.

3 i am planning on using flared fiberglass fenders all the way around. do these connect to the rear quarters in front of the wheel at the bottom.

if anyone has done this or knows of a past thread i could look at i would be thankful

Guest 400 ci 280z

i also have to do this on my 280z and was wondering the same thing. i will end up making metal flares that i can weld on instead of of fiberglass. i have to replace this because there was a dent in the drivers side and the corners that are next the bottom of the hatch are rusted out too and was wondering if a quarter panel from msa would go that far up.

you might have to sawzall the quarter off, leaving an inch or so of "meat" draping off the quarter windows/antenna area, then you have to plop your new panel over it, trimming it so that it lines up right(takes a while), the meat left from orig quarter you pin up to quarter, this gets tack welded into place when alighnment is correct, then bondo and sand, bondo and sand, this is the quick explanation. my boss at the shop makes this look like an oil change,

but i know its more involved than this.

Guest Anonymous

Years ago I made up a body panel flange tool by welding two small offset pieces of metal to a good pair of vice grips. I think I saw a similar pair of flange tools in the Eastwood Catalog. Look them up on the NET and get a free catalog. This method allows you to flange the body section to place the replacement section inside the flange lip. You then weld the replacement solidly to the body with no edge gaps gaps to fill or weld.Just a little hard to explain but made me an expert after I finished clamping that pair of vice grips together a hundred times to make a flange. An expert body man and welder can do it without a flange.

Unless MSA has found a new source, or fibbed when I got mine - I was told I got the last Drivers' side Qtr Panel they had.

I have been browsing Northern and the internet and have looked seriously at the flange tool, because I also have patch panels for the lower front fenders.

Until I get out of welding class (4-5 weeks), I have plenty of time to scope this stuff out.

MillerMatic 175 still in box waiting for C25 mix and ME!

I will probably build the rotisserie first though, so I can do as much welding horizontally as possible.

I'm itching to get started - tearing the car apart just isn't as satisfying as putting 'em back together!

I like the idea of steel flares, but the only ones I have seen are too wide for my taste - I'm thinking 1.5 inches apiece could be the ticket.

If I'm the first to use the flange tool, I'll post my impressions here for everyone else, but will definitely keep my eye on any later posts!

If anyone does find a source still supplying good body panels, it'll be good to know also....

smile.gif

brad

I`ve used mine to install cab corners on my extended cab truck and it worked very well.When you weld the Quarters on be sure not to use anything over.023 wire unless it`s gasless or fluxwire any larger will require too much heat and will burn through or warp the panel ;)

Guest Anonymous

Quarter panel problem

Being a ASE bodyman, I can tell you quarter

replacement is better leave to the experts. Most

people don't realize the quarter panels of a vehicle are part of a unitized frame. If not

properly replaced, it will not properly absorb

the force of a collision. However, flares put

over the existing panel will not affect its

performance. There are books on collisiion repair

at bookstores if you still want to do it. Lookj

for books approved by the NACES. Also, all welding mst be performed with a mig wire welder.

Guest Anonymous

okay gys don't laugh at me too hard :rolleyes: , but i had another one f my hairbrained ideas again. a friend a mine has a old 79 dodge stepside truck that is just sitting in his yard. anyway, the rear fender flares are very nicely rounded and it is just a couple bolts that hold them on. i was think of taking them cutting them to the width i want then tacking them on the the rear of my ZX (can you say whitetrash LOL) then after i get them positioned i would take sheetmetal and shape, cut, tack, ETC to the point where i have them flowing with the lines of the car and nt look massively out of place on it. this is probably one of the hardest routes i could go but i think it would be nice to know that i have the only set that looks like that.

if you like it, go for it.

another source for cheap flares is the 84-89 supras, they have flares held on with three screws

and glassing, can be had at the junkyard for pennies. other factory imports have flares factory

and should be able to be just as easily removed, figure thirty bucks tops.