HybridZ

Making a carbon fiber manifold

HoustonZ

I've been involved with a lot of carbon fiber projects lately so it was only natural to try this out.

SW.jpg

2010-06-02175349.jpg

What did you do today during lunch? I coded up this guy to run on the Fadal cnc mill. Started with a 32x20x6 piece of foam. Two sides, 200ipm, 1" ball mill. Took about 30 minutes.

2010-06-02174259.jpg

2010-06-02175339.jpg

th_video-2010-06-02-18-24-20.jpg

Here is the finished plug. I'm going to lay up a base layer of fiberglass than carbon fiber. I need to machine the injector bungs so they can be molded in at the same time. Also on the list of things to do this week are the flange and the throttle body adapter.

P1010186.jpg

Edited by Cold Fusion

Are you referring to equal length runners? This is a design I made fairly quickly based some fluid analysis experience that I have. Its a matter of how variation the 6 ports will receive. Even the best simulations can't account for all the factors. So I'm just going to make it and see what happens. Maybe we can arrange for testing on a car with port egt sensors or afr sensors?

The runners are normally sized. The plenum is about 4.5 inches in diameter. The tapers are quite large which creates most of the illusion.

We have both the an autoclave and vac bag equipment at work. Although since ultimate strength and weight are not too much of a concern I think I'll just do a standard wet layup for the first try. It will be still 1/3rd the weight of stock with enough strength to stand on it.

• 3 weeks later...