OK - so I got this diesel motor....

2eighTZ4me

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony, an ECO 2.2 piston would leave the piston .5mm below deck but I guess I could live with that; but I need an 89mm piston to use with a L20B rod as I already have an L28 block .120" overbored that I would use for an L28/L20A...know of any?

DAW

Tony, an ECO 2.2 piston would leave the piston .5mm below deck but I guess I could live with that; but I need an 89mm piston to use with a L20B rod as I already have an L28 block .120" overbored that I would use for an L28/L20A...know of any?

DAW

As I vaguely recall, after much research a few years back, there is no stock piston to accomplish what you want. Even with a custom piston the pin is up in the oil ring area and the lands would be so close together that longivity would be a serious issue. That is why I used the LD28 block with the L20B rod. Tony will likely have a better answer though.

Ok guys...Get a LD28 forklift block...they can be found factory dry linered. I have personally seen ONE known forklift block in a local machine shop with dry liners being pulled and replaced...the liners were 3mm thick for a 84.5mm bore. pull the liners and you've got an 87.5mm bore, surely another half mm will be acceptable, and then you have 88mm pistons with 35mm pin heights and 9cc round dishes available inexpensively.

Are all LD blocks sleeved? No, this is the only one I've ever seen that was. the machinist doing the work said he'd seen a few and he has done a LOT of LD28 forklift engines and they didn't all get linered. He was from South Africa and worked in a big plant there before moving to the US, where he said they were kinda rare.

I tried to buy that block from the shop that owned it, even helped them get another block to replace it with (they bought the block just to have a spare) but they would not part with it.

Edited by Xnke

I can't believe someone said 'there is no stock piston that will do that'...

Since when was it a criteria to use stock pistons?

And as for the ringstack argument, I pretty much expected that. Think within the box and you will achieve results like everybody else.

Something to think about:

Do you really want to run stock thickness rings in an engine that will effectively spin to over 10,500 rpms?

And who says the oil control ring needs to be where it is in the stock configuration.

Think within the box, achieve the within the box results.

• 1 month later...