HybridZ

Gas Mixture

Hi - new to me is a 72 240Z. Motor seems strong but fuel mixture too heavy. Working with a mechanic to try to set it right. His manual shows SUs with screw at base to set the gas mixture. Mine don't have the screws so he's at a loss on how to adjust. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I've found and read the material and talked with my mechanic. The material references more than one type of carb. The one in the pics shows two screws on bottom. The SUs on my car do not have the screws on the bottom - so we're not sure how to make the adjustments. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mike

Hi - I've found and read the material and talked with my mechanic. The material references more than one type of carb. The one in the pics shows two screws on bottom. The SUs on my car do not have the screws on the bottom - so we're not sure how to make the adjustments. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mike

If you have stock-ish '72 SUs the fuel mixture is indeed at the bottom, but it is more of a knurled "nut" than a screw. Maybe someone has replaced your carbs with downdraft webers? Pics would help.

That's a factory SU. If you follow an imaginary line straight through the black knob on top to where it would come out under the carb, that's where you'll find the mixture adjusting nut. It's large, around 1" across or so.

The FSM is adequate, but it sounds like you might be better off with the ZTherapy video. It's got lots of shots of the carbs off the car so you can more easily visualize it. They also give you step by step instructions. Plus Bruce and Steve are very helpful. I think Bruce hangs out mostly at classiczcars.com.

Looks like you've got a standard 3 screw SU setup. DCZ is right, it is more of a large knob than a screw and they come in a couple of varieties.

Here are a couple of mine with an arrow to show where to find them:

blue72_carb_adjust_knob.jpg

Edited by blue72