HybridZ

STRIP UNDERCOATING,RUST ,LOOSE PAINT

denny411

I`ve been using a needle scaler to remove under coating,it works very well If the undercoating isn`t still sticky.If it is dried out at all use the needle scaler at the same angle that you would use a putty knife(and watch the stuff just fly off)It will work on soft coating but not near as quickly.The harder the better.Needle scalers are usually anywhere from 100.00 to 200.00 bucks,but at an auto value parts store I picked up a head that you screw on to your air hammer in place of the spring.it was only 40.00 and the replacement needle sets are 10.00.These are very handy tools to have in any case,they can be used to clean suspension parts of rust and flaking paint,also to clean up your engine block (chip away any extra casting flash and paint that didn`t come off during degreasing.I`ve wanted one of these tools for years but couldn`t force myself to spend the big bucks for one.since I picked this needle head up I`ve used it on all sorts of things,ex.chip out body filler,remove undercoating,strip loose paint and rust scale from my car trailer,chip weld slag and splatter(when stick welding),clean a-arms and crossmember. icon_smile.gif I wish I had found this sooner,It would have saved me alot of time and headaches icon_wink.gif I HOPE THIS HELPS Y`ALL (I`ve been in Al. too long) icon_biggrin.gif

Is the head unit for your air hammer called a needle scaler as well? I'm very interested in this as I will be tackling the bottom side of the car very soon. Thanks in advance, I've tested a couple of different methods and there seems to be no easy solution. icon_mad.gif

YEP, It`s a needle scaler head that screws on to your air hammer/chisel in place of the spring. It has about 10-12 hardened steel rods that hang loose,when you pull the trigger they randomly strike the surface to strip away whatever rust/paint/splatter,ect. that your trying to remove. I personaly wouldn`t use it to remove paint from a smooth body panel, Just on spots with body filler.You may run the risk of putting slight ripples in the panel.It doesn`t remove paint from sheet metal very well anyway,there is too much give too it,but on somthing solid like an engine block it works great for paint removal.As stated ealier,I feel it is best for under coating on floorpans firewalls and suspension parts.Just remember to use it at the same angle you would a putty knife,this way you`re skimming the surface and not hammering it icon_wink.gif

Try looking for it at any of the parts stores that sell professional tools ex.Napa, Big A,ect.ask if they carry needle scalers,and if they can get just the head to put onto your air hammer.You could get the regular scaler,(I`m too cheap for that.(100.00+ vs.40.00) icon_rolleyes.gif I`ll go with the 40. FYI I stripped all the undercoating from the rear wheel wells of my 71 chevelle in under ten minutes,and stripped all the loose paint on my 23 ft car trailer in less than 30 min. icon_smile.gif (WORKS FOR ME)

Craig ,Alabama`s fine, I`m just a fish out of water.I find myself paying retail for parts.Somthing completely out of carracter for me.just don`t know enough people to wheel & deal with.At home deals would practicaly find me. Hey Dave ,good deal thats the animal.have you tried any of the above suggestions?

The only diference between the one from H/F,and the head is that from looking at the pic there are just a few less rods,and the spread of the rods at the tips is a smaller diameter.so i think the head for doing large areas may be a little faster.I personally like the pistol grip of the air hammer it`s all a matter of personal preference.(just some food for thought when making your decision)I know if hadn`t already found this one,I wouldn`t hesitate to buy the one from H/F icon_wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Harbor Freight has the head attachment for 14.99

Scaler Attachment

This fits the Air chisel made by Chicago Pneumatic, which Harbor also sells, as well as Northern.

The replacement blades are $10.

It appears as though the air hammer I got w/my Coleman compressor just so happens to be made by Chicago Pneumatic! (it's identical to Harbor Freight and Northern's Air Hammers).

Hope I've saved someone some money...

smile.gif

Brad

That`s good for you and bad for me :( I wish I`d seen that sooner,I paid 40.00 for mine.But at least I know where to get another if I ever need one.Thanks tongue.gif By the way...I was in Atlanta today went to the mall in Alpheretta,was going to take my son to the zoo but got a late start.They were closing when we got there.damn time change twak.gif

Denny - Sorry about the zoo - hate disappointing the little ones myself. My little ones are all the neighbor kids now - our son is at West Point.

I got lucky, because after reading yours and associated posts, I remembered my Northern catalog at looked at the two types of scalers they had in it and one looked like an air hammer w/the attachment you thoughtfully told us about.

I went to the Harbor Freight site and did a search for air tools/hammers and voila, got bigger pictures of the CP stuff, went to the garage and pulled out mine and what a match - identical!

To be honest, I hadn't thought about using a scaler until your post (at least for undercoating removal).

My wife has relatives in Tallapoosa, we actually live in Marietta.

The next time one of us comes the other's way we should try to get together, ooohhhh and aaahhhh over the other's project - I should come to you first - I haven't done anything but tearing out the interior and buying floor pans and patch panels yet. I'm taking welding classes for the MIG welder I bought.

Should have had the engine out this weekend but the timing wasn't right for my niece's boyfriend to let me use his workplace after hours :( I've got all the tools but the availability of the lift and hoist at the shop make it monetarily and physically more comfortable - and I'm starting to realize I'm not a young man anymore...

Classes last for about 4 more weeks and then I'll start on a rotisserie.

Keep us posted on what your doing and other bright ideas/time/work savers you come up with!

smile.gif

Brad

I`ve got my 71 chevelle on the rotissurie that I built a couple months ago.It`s alot bigger than what most guys on Hybridz use for their Z`s.It looks like two very large engine stands facing each other and connected by a telescoping piece in the center,and has large casters welded on it..I built it this way to transport the car on my 23 ft car trailer(that I also built)from Ohio to Alabama,I have a winch on the trailer that I hook to the rotissurie to pull the car on. you would not believe how well it works 2thumbs.gif my z is in paint jail in oh,right now it`s in primer and should be painted sometime in the next few weeks,If I can decide what color to go with :confused: .I hope to bring it down with me this spring or early summer,when I come back down from planting corn and beans