HybridZ

rb20det 1/4 mile times

tvgz28

Hi i have a 78 280z and found a pretty sweet deal on a rb20det engine set and was just wondering what kind of 1/4 mile times you s30 guys are running with the rb20 ? Also do you think the rb20 trans will handle the power of a rb25 if i decide to step up to the 25 later down the road?

Hi i have a 78 280z and found a pretty sweet deal on a rb20det engine set and was just wondering what kind of 1/4 mile times you s30 guys are running with the rb20 ? Also do you think the rb20 trans will handle the power of a rb25 if i decide to step up to the 25 later down the road?

I take it you haven't done any research on the RB series?

I have researched it but i was just wanting to hear some info from people that had a rb20 in their z. I figured that a bone stock rb20 in a 280z will probably run around a high 13 to low 14 1/4 mile and one with a hx35 turbo,z32 afm,444cc rb26 injectors and a good engine management will be in the 12's. And for the transmission issue I will probably run a z32 30a with the rb25 bell housing if the 71c isn't up to the task.

Edited by tvgz28

I have researched it but i was just wanting to hear some info from people that had a rb20 in their z. I figured that a bone stock rb20 in a 280z will probably run around a high 13 to low 14 1/4 mile and one with a hx35 turbo,z32 afm,444cc rb26 injectors and a good engine management will be in the 12's. And for the transmission issue I will probably run a z32 30a with the rb25 bell housing if the 71c isn't up to the task.

Just do an RB25 off the bat, they are about the same price and you will notice the extra half liter.

aren't the stock 280Z injectors in the 440cc range to begin with? Doesn't seem like an extra 4cc would make a huge difference in the power produced, the RB20DET and the L28ET are both capable of roughly the same #'s IIRC I haven't read up on them in quite awhile.

Stock rb20det injectors are 270cc and im pretty sure the n/a l28 has 188cc hose feed injectors. The only reason i mentioned the rb26 injectors is because you can pick them up in fleabay pretty cheap. I have looked into the l28et and i might go the route if i can find one in good shape with the wiring harness and ecm.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get the attitude towards the rb20. It's like the red headed step child that nobody wants. People with the rb20 need to chime in and let all these rb20 HATERS know that is a very good motor with alot of protential. Bottom line the rb20 can produce very good hp numbers with little money.

Nobody is RB20 "hating". Bottomline is if you live in the United States the advantages of an RB20 over the RB25 are null because people choose the latter when they live in a country where these cars are available because you can get the RB20 for little cost. Do what you want, the RB25 is just the better bang for the buck if you dont come from an area where these engines are available.

I don't get the attitude towards the rb20. It's like the red headed step child that nobody wants. People with the rb20 need to chime in and let all these rb20 HATERS know that is a very good motor with alot of protential. Bottom line the rb20 can produce very good hp numbers with little money.

Parts are harder to find for the RB20 in the US compared to the SR, there are alot more people familiar with the SR over the Rb20 in the US, while the RB is more efficient, it's about 50 pounds more then the SR and is alot longer and taller, dollar for dollar the SR is going to cost less for the same amount of mods. It's moot point though, as both motors are illegal for anything other then off highway vehicles.

The parts for the rb20's are getting alot easier to find you just have to know where to look. Alot of the parts on a rb20 come from different nissan engines that are available at the local auto parts store down the street. I have not had one problem finding any parts for my rb20. The rb20 is cheaper and a easier swap for the budget minded swapper than the rb25. I know of two places local that have the rb20's in stock with everything you need for 1000.00-1200.00. The same places have the rb25's in stock also for 1800.00-2300.00. With the rb20's you don't need the high dollar motor mounts or a custom driveshaft. that saves what around 800.00 easy. Now if you want to run nistune with the rb25's you have to get a rb20 or z32 ecu and that's more money. With the rb20 the nistune was easy no other ecu's to buy. I guess it's all about the power you want. I have seen a 240sx with a rb20 on the dyno putting out very close to 400 hp on stock internals. 400hp in a datsun z is nuts for a street car. When I started my swap I wanted at the most 300-350hp and drive it everyday wuth no problems on a low budget.( I have other toys to spend money on LOL) 300hp in a 2200-2400lbs z car is hauling a$$, thats what high 11's to low to mid 12's. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but all the negitive stuff about the rb20's is probably turning some people away from this swap. Not everybody has tons of money to buy the best of the best.

The parts for the rb20's are getting alot easier to find you just have to know where to look. Alot of the parts on a rb20 come from different nissan engines that are available at the local auto parts store down the street. I have not had one problem finding any parts for my rb20. The rb20 is cheaper and a easier swap for the budget minded swapper than the rb25. I know of two places local that have the rb20's in stock with everything you need for 1000.00-1200.00. The same places have the rb25's in stock also for 1800.00-2300.00. With the rb20's you don't need the high dollar motor mounts or a custom driveshaft. that saves what around 800.00 easy. Now if you want to run nistune with the rb25's you have to get a rb20 or z32 ecu and that's more money. With the rb20 the nistune was easy no other ecu's to buy. I guess it's all about the power you want. I have seen a 240sx with a rb20 on the dyno putting out very close to 400 hp on stock internals. 400hp in a datsun z is nuts for a street car. When I started my swap I wanted at the most 300-350hp and drive it everyday wuth no problems on a low budget.( I have other toys to spend money on LOL) 300hp in a 2200-2400lbs z car is hauling a$$, thats what high 11's to low to mid 12's. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but all the negitive stuff about the rb20's is probably turning some people away from this swap. Not everybody has tons of money to buy the best of the best.

OP does not own an RB20 and was contemplating a possible RB25 swap to replace the 20 in the future. In that case its just burning money if you are already thinking about swapping your swap later in case your not satisfied. In this section tons of money and best of the best usually refers to the 26...

Anyway, I am leaving it at that. I did not intend to start a flame war of sorts.

Edited by jakeoster