HybridZ

R200 GEAR CHANGE INSTALLING 4.1

patrickhove

i have a r200 clsd from a 87 300zxt. I just purchased an r200 with a 4.1 ratio to swap gears. my question is can I just yank off the ring gear and bolt it on(pinion too of coarse). I see the bolts are a different size but is there any clearancing on the gears that needs to be done.

thanks

i have a r200 clsd from a 87 300zxt. I just purchased an r200 with a 4.1 ratio to swap gears. my question is can I just yank off the ring gear and bolt it on(pinion too of coarse). I see the bolts are a different size but is there any clearancing on the gears that needs to be done.

thanks

I suppose swapping the 4.1 r&p is one way of doing it; but, why not just pull the LSD out of one and install it into the 4.1 differential. I presume the 4.1 is a sound differential.

G

I suppose swapping the 4.1 r&p is one way of doing it; but, why not just pull the LSD out of one and install it into the 4.1 differential. I presume the 4.1 is a sound differential.

Do this. Follow the post on what to do in the FAQ section. MUUUUUCH easier than shimming the pinion in a different housing.

Do this. Follow the post on what to do in the FAQ section. MUUUUUCH easier than shimming the pinion in a different housing.

its too late for that I likr to do everything the hard way so I allready ripped my donor diff apart and have the ring and pinoin in hand. The diff caps and misc parts were all thrown in a box so im a little leary about just putting it back together now if it matters that the caps go back on the same spot. So as far as I can tell im now stuck with putting the gears in my r200 with lsd in it since it is still in tact thank goodness.

Get an inside micrometer and install the caps and make sure the hole is round with the caps torqued to figure out how the caps go on, and put the 4.11 diff back together. Shimming the pinion depth is the tough part, and if you don't get it right that thing will be noisy. It will be easier to reassemble in the original housing than putting them in the other housing and having to shim the pinion to fit the new housing.

If you're going to do it the hard way you'll need to check the pattern to see if you have the pinion depth right. There are diagrams on wipe patterns and basic instructions in this booklet: http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf That doesn't have torques or backlash for the R200, but you can look those up here or in the FSM.

You made it a lot harder on yourself than it needed to be. Swapping that open carrier for the LSD takes about an hour or so if you have both diffs out and drained on a table.