HybridZ

Transmission options for turbo swap

trentwalker

Getting the pieces I need to together for swapping an l28et into my S30. I found an '83 donor ZXT, but it is automatic. Since I want to go manual, it seems like borg warner t-5 is a popular swap,but I'm curious as to what other options might be available? FWIW, the HP goal is ~350.

Appreciate it

I would do what this good looking guy did in this video:

my HP goal is a zillion million (at the wheels)

I agree - the Z32 tranny with adapter and shifter stuff is a good swap - I've done 2 of them and they are awesome...

If you don't have the bucks to do that conversion, you can do a T5 and they hold up OK if you take it easy on them - unless you make a ton of torque they seem to be just fine... A good B&M shifter is a great additional as well...

Edited by kjones

I say find a Nissan 4 or 5 speed until you really start throwing down some serious power. I don't see the purpose of dumping all that money into that transmission unless you really are beating the hell out of your car. I'm running my stock 4 speed and it's holding up great behind my L28et.

I do plan on going to a z32 in the future, but until I'm putting down ~400 hp or thereabouts, I don't see the purpose honestly.