HybridZ

Made some filters for ram pipes

Tyler

Being cheap, I wanted to find an affordable filter for my newly acquired stacks. Let me know what you all think and what changes should be made. My main concerns are:

1. Safety (spit back from carbs)

2. Filtration

3. Durability

The filter is made of a piece of shop vac sock filter sandwiched between two screens.

Picture "1" is of the base layer

Picture "2" is of the filter material

Pictures "3" are of the finished product

post-11260-074287600 1277333817_thumb.jpg

post-11260-027667200 1277333825_thumb.jpg

post-11260-040422200 1277333831_thumb.jpg

post-11260-003578900 1277333839_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tyler

I tried using foam balls a while back but they affected power above 4000rpms.  However, it should work as long as you don't notice significant power loss at high RPM's.  Check the foam to make sure it won't dissolve in gas.  It's a shame proper filters for DCOE's are so darn pricey.  Market opportunity for sure...but on the other hand, how big is the market. 

Edited by cygnusx1

Ah, good tip about checking to see if gas will melt the foam.

*edit- letting it soak in some gas and nothing happening so far. Reason I chose the shop vac stuff is I'm guessing the manufacturer of the material knows that all kinds of stuff will be vacuumed up in a shop with all kinds of chemicals.

Edited by Tyler

Ah, good tip about checking to see if gas will melt the foam.

*edit- letting it soak in some gas and nothing happening so far. Reason I chose the shop vac stuff is I'm guessing the manufacturer of the material knows that all kinds of stuff will be vacuumed up in a shop with all kinds of chemicals.

Don't EVER vacuum up gasoline with a shop vac!    It's basically a giant carburetor with an ignition source built in...heading to post this over at Mythbuster's cause I'm NOT going to test this one myself.   :P

Edit: Apparently they busted this myth.  But I wouldn't try it.

Edited by cygnusx1