HybridZ

200ZR RB20DET

djz

Thought you guys might like to see some pictures of the motor I just bought, it's an RB20DET from a 200ZR Z31. 63,000ks for $500NZD (~$350USD). Ceramic turbo power!

Haven't really decided what to do with it yet, I doubt it's capable of making much more power than my current L31 without spending $$.

134598550_full.jpg

134598493_full.jpg

134598535_full.jpg

Copied from Wikipedia.org . . .

[edit] Japanese market

On the home market, the Z31 came with either a 2.0 litre or 3.0 litre motor. The 200Z, 200ZG, and 200ZS used the VG20ET motor while the 200ZR had the RB20DET. The only factory Z31 variant to use the VG30DE engine was the 300ZR.[9] The Japanese 300ZX Turbo made the same 200 hp (149 kW) as the USDM VG30ET, outperforming the 3.0 liter Z31s as their engines only made 210-219 hp. This was to "make the most of the local taxation laws."[4]

That last sentence of that Wiki article doesn't make sense to me.

Well, Japan car taxes are cc based in many ways. Much like the "Gas Guzzler" pollution tax on higher capacity cars in the US. Ever notice how many of the the small cars are 660cc or so, and then 1000cc, with no 750cc cars in between? Their small car tax band on engines has a tax break for engines 660cc or less, like the little dihatsu and suzuki vans and superminis. But the next tax break level is 1000cc IIRC, so theres no bebfit to 750cc size engines since the power difference is so miniscule for the weight of the cars at that size.

2000cc is another tax break level. so the 200ZR/ZG/ZS/Z could be sold for less than the 300zx and make the same profit, even if the engines would cost the same to make, since the jap govt wouldn't take such a high cut of the sale price.

Well, Japan car taxes are cc based in many ways. Much like the "Gas Guzzler" pollution tax on higher capacity cars in the US. Ever notice how many of the the small cars are 660cc or so, and then 1000cc, with no 750cc cars in between? Their small car tax band on engines has a tax break for engines 660cc or less, like the little dihatsu and suzuki vans and superminis. But the next tax break level is 1000cc IIRC, so theres no bebfit to 750cc size engines since the power difference is so miniscule for the weight of the cars at that size.

2000cc is another tax break level. so the 200ZR/ZG/ZS/Z could be sold for less than the 300zx and make the same profit, even if the engines would cost the same to make, since the jap govt wouldn't take such a high cut of the sale price.

Whoops, sorry 2nd to last sentence!

"The Japanese 300ZX Turbo made the same 200 hp (149 kW) as the USDM VG30ET, outperforming the 3.0 liter Z31s as their engines only made 210-219 hp."

So the 300ZX made 200hp but outperformed the 3.0L Z31s that made 210-219hp?

I'm pretty sure I'll keep the sump and mounts and might use them in my S130 one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops, sorry 2nd to last sentence!

"The Japanese 300ZX Turbo made the same 200 hp (149 kW) as the USDM VG30ET, outperforming the 3.0 liter Z31s as their engines only made 210-219 hp."

So the 300ZX made 200hp but outperformed the 3.0L Z31s that made 210-219hp?

I'm pretty sure I'll keep the sump and mounts and might use them in my S130 one day.

just digging this thread up. at a guess, they meant it outperformed it in terms of producing almost the same power at 66% the capacity.

i saw this engine on trademe, i thought about buying it. then i thought about how i was crippingly poor, and wanting to eat more than noodles for the rest of the month, so decided not to