HybridZ

EFI fuel pump recommendation

What fuel pumps are you turbo guys running and what kind of power are you able to sustain with such?

Looking back through the Aeromotive install guide, they're recommending a pump voltage control module to the tune of $300+. I'm not shooting for anything over 400rwhp. I've got 440cc injectors now. It'd be cheaper for me to buy another pump and retrofit than to go the route Aeromotive is recommending.

Suggestions (part #'s prices etc.) would be greatly appreciated

BTW - the car is used for road racing - needs to be durable and sustainable.

Edited by 2eighTZ4me

I think you'll get a lot of people recommending a Walbro GSL392. It's rated 255 l/h which I think will get you to 400 whp or so. (I'm going from memory so you might want to go to one of the power calculator websites and see how much fuel is required to get to that level.)

I've run up to 18 psi with it and it had no trouble keeping up. It's as little as $110 or so online. Do get it with the installation kit which includes a foam rubber sleeve and 2 straps to keep the noise out of the cabin. I bought mine with the kit from http://www.injectedperformance.com/ for $107 shipped.

Im running the MSD 2225 fuel pump at the moment and it flows 225 l/h as well I believe. If you do go this route however be advised that the MSD fuel pumps are VERY noisy. I've heard the same complaint from many others as well.

Here are my install pics if that helps at all:

http://www.zcar.com/forums/888793/my-msd-2225-fuel-pump-install-pictures

get a 044 bosch

amazon has the best price ($169)

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-044-Universal-Inline-Fuel/dp/B001CCVFBS

you will also need some fittings from summit racing to convert the metric threads to -AN, then -AN to NPT if you like.

if you want to keep the check valve in place, then you will need a banjo fitting and a closed end metric nut (I made my own banjo and nut).

if the pump is loud then the pump isn't getting enough fuel. The msd 2225 pumps are quiet if they get enough fuel.

the 044 is louder than the MSD 2225.

I run my 044 on the stock fuel pump wiring then use a hobb switch to give it full battery voltage after 2 -3 psi of boost. The old fuel pump wiring on my car only delivered 9 volts to the pump (you need to check yours). I use the 9V to keep the pump quiet until I need the flow.

my tank is dirty so I run a 100 micro filter before the pump (aeromotive makes good ones, again amazon had the best price). Finally, I mounted the pump even with the bottom of the tank.

I run NA injectors (190cc) with 11 to 14 psi of boost so pressure and fuel are important. I use a 8:1 FMU to increase fuel pressure for fuel enrichment. 11 psi of boost gets 88 psi of fuel pressure, 12 gets 96, 14 gets 110+ psi. The pump makes the pressure and holds it well (I have a gauge in the car), so it puts out good volume even at high pressures.

Again, if the pump is loud then it isn't getting enough fuel and the pressure will drop.

I had an issue right after I installed the 044. it was loud and didn't make more than 50 psi on boost which is a big issue with a fmu. I too off a 60 micro fuel filter that was clogged with very fine rust ( before the pump) and that made the pump quiet and allowed it to deliver 100+ psi of fuel pressure.

finally, my intake line from the tank is party clogged (didn't give enough fuel) so i had to drill and tap the drain plug to a 1/4 npt for a 90 degree fitting with a hose barb. I know my intake line was party clogged by comparing how hard is was to blow through versus another tank in good condition.

If you are looking at something comparable to the Aeromotive... I run Magnafuel. Granted, I run one of the largest pumps they make but... None of their pumps require or even recommend running a voltage regulator. I have run mine for up to an hour at a time and it runs really cool, not even warm to the touch. Again, no voltage regulator required.

The 044 and the Walbro are good pumps, but are not on the same level as the Aeromotive or the Magnafuel pumps. The only reason I suggested them is because that is the level you started out with in the discussion.

Picture113.jpg

Edited by SATAN

I was able to get the Aeromotive issue worked out. I re-plumbed from the cell to the pump with -10AN line, and also removed the 10micron filter pre-pump and replaced it with a 100 micron filter. Put the 10 micron filter post-pump and it does great now. I do like the sound of that Bosch pump though - might use it in another car.....thanks for all your replies!