HybridZ

Changing color

Guest alfred182

Guest alfred182

Hi. Gonna change my Z's color from ash-blue to racing yellow, but the metal interior of the car and under the hood (where the engine sits) would still be the original color, right? How much more expensive would it be to get these parts painted in your experience?

The hardest part about painting under the hood is getting it prepped so the paint will stick.. Is the car in running and driving condition?. Painting the door frames is really no biggie, just that engine compartment is the trouble!

Myron

Unless your going to completely strip the engine compartment, And remove the doors & liftgate. I would not recommend a color change. If you do not do these things you will see the old color every time you open a door or your hood. I manage a large paint shop in Florida and color changes are not cheap if done correctly. This usually adds $500.00 to $1500. to the price of the job. Rick

Guest alfred182

I'm not so afraid of paying a little more. What I'm really worried about is if they'll take two weeks to do it, or if I will have to take the engine out myself. If its in the ballpark of $1,000, I'd be willing to do it. I've already spent some money getting everything in the engine working right, now I want my Z to look good smile.gif

the absolute lowest price I'm finding is $1700, although...I have a DSM friend that took her 98 GS-T to MAACO and had them color change the entire car. They did her jams, underneath her hood, and in the hatch area and "supposedly" upgraded the paint (4 year guarantee against flaking, peeling, cracking, fading, etc...)for a total price of about $1100.

I'm "considering" doing this myself...I figure as long as the car looks presentable, they don't spraypaint the inside of the car, and I detrim it before I go down, then I should be "OK" until I can get a better paint job in the future.

I've only got about $1300, maybe $1400 to spend on paint after buying my turbo Z engine, interior parts (changing interior to black), and the MSA front and rear bumper covers, and spoiler...I'm still tossing the whole thing in the air, though...I still want enough leftover to get my wheels powdercoated.

When I stopped by yesterday and talked to them about it, this is what they told me

Paint exterior, remove side mouldings and fill in screw holes, paint door jams, paint underneath hood (I doubt that means everything), paint rear hatch jams, and prep for $1020.

Guest Anonymous

this is the part where i like being in the air force. I have the use of a professional(sp) paint booth for a small feeon base. We also have lifts and just about everything else u could think of to fix a car. I am changing the color of my car from black to a gunmetal grey. I am doing all the body work myself (some on the kitchen floor, dont tell my wife she hasnt found out yet, she is at basic lol. anyways i have stripped the front fenders and now i am working on the hatch. after that it is the roof and then on to the interior and engine compartment. It isnt that hard for me it just takes time and i have plenty of that

well good luck

peace out

dave