HybridZ

Installing A/C in an Early S30

Xnke

Nobody makes variable displacment compressors for that small service in portable applications. They are far too expensive.

Variable orifice works on change of state. It still relies on overcompression and accumulation/capacitance for fundamental operation.

Only large stationary plants use variable displacement compressors to lower the electrical load required to compress the refrigerant to the required pressures and volumes to accomplish the BTU transfer required.

I'm not entirely sure yet, but I know the A/C compressors that come on the newer LSx motors in the vette and camaro are variable displacement. I would think something similar to what you are suggesting.

The Harrison/Delphi V5 series uses a variable swash plate on the pistons, much like hydrostatic pumps. This is old technology, been in play for years in hydraulics. Apparently it has finally trickled down. From what I can see they use a pressure-balancing bellows.

So is this the pump you aim to use? Toyota is also using a Variable Displacement unit which may fit in a standard Sanden footprint. If not, then what I stated still stands about accessories, all they do is affect state change, the item doing the work still overcompresses and wastes energy--using a non VDP the selection should be the smallest pump available to compress the medium for most efficient operation with system capacitance sized for anticipated transients.

I was looking at some toyota applications; and some subaru; the subarus use a simple to mount compressor, but I don't think it's variable displacement. It's hard to tell externally; for me at least, because i'm not entirely sure what' I'm looking at.