HybridZ

Please assess this rust damage

revlis240

Hey guys,

Finally got a chance to strip some of the paint the previous owner had rolled onto the car. Here are some pics and questions:

1zya0sg.jpg

Thats how she sits now

How bad is this, would you fiberglass over it or cut the panel?:

6nv6f8.jpg

2u45xmg.jpg

2r38fua.jpg

Does it look like the rear quarters have been cut out and replaced in the past?

2a9telx.jpg

4j2sxv.jpg

zjxegy.jpg

2pskkcg.jpg

What are these bondo looking globs INSIDE the rust hole?

5mjqet.jpg

Thats all for now, I know the passanger floor is rusted as well,

but I ran out of energy for today. Please advise!

Thanks

Abe

that looks like the factory leaded seam right at the hatch....the area above the door could have been rusting in the past holes were brazed...as far as repair goes...anyone here is going to tell you a proper repair is to cut and replace with new metal...a quick patch is fiberglass.

that looks like the factory leaded seam right at the hatch....the area above the door could have been rusting in the past holes were brazed...as far as repair goes...anyone here is going to tell you a proper repair is to cut and replace with new metal...a quick patch is fiberglass.

For that roof, Do i have to replace the entire roof? Im a little wary of cutting the pillars...

Also, for the C pillar that has the hole in it, seems there is rust inside the hole? how do i fix that?

Edited by revlis240

if you heat up that lead you can remove it...there is a lip that the pillar laid in and then was welded and filled with lead...what prob happened is water from the holes above the door got in and rusted it out...if you heat up the area around the A pillar right at the top where it meets the roof...there is more lead. from there it is just drilling out spot welds to remove the roof...along the inside of the door, hatch, and along the top of the windshield...actually under the windshield gasket.

In your part of the country, yes, get another shell. Z cars in good condition are common enough in cali and arizona/nevada/oregon that there is not much reason to spend the money to get a rusty one fixed properly.

If you were on the right coast, sure, you can fix that, but You CAN NOT just cover it up with bondo or fibreglass. If you choose to cover up the rust, it will be right back ruining your paint in a year or less.

Strip the paint off, strip the interior out, and inspect both sides of the panel. This will show you the real extent of the rust damage.

It would be much, much easier to replace that roof skin, than cut the pillars. NEVER cut the pillars, in my opinion, because you will not get the new roof back on right...it just won't happen. Drill out the spot welds along the top of the windshield, drill out the spot welds at the top of the hatch, and along the rain gutters. melt out the leaded seams at the top of the A-pillar and B-pillar, and carefully cut the welded seam found there.

IF it's cheap enough cut the top off and make a convertible out of it. As said before you would be better off getting a cleaner Z without the roof rust. Also if it has rust in the roof like that I bet the lower part of the chassis has more rust.

B)

Yeah if that was up here in Canukistan i'd say it's workable. But you're in the land of the Z's. Left coast cars are some of the cleanest around, certainly you can find a better starting point for little coin. Good luck!

this may seem a little crazy, but i bought this fully restored "rust free" z today, 1971 with a crate chevy 350 in it. I stumbled upon a deal i absolutely couldnt pass up! Bought the car for the price of the motor :D more pics soon. Ignore the color, i dont like it either

20z41tv.jpg