HybridZ

83 ZXT, Having Trouble Reinstalling the Tranny

pwill

My son's 83 ZX Turbo was having clutch problems so we removed the transmission and replaced the clutch and throwout bearing. We are now trying to put the tranny back in and are having a hell of a time. We have about at half to 3/4 of an inch to go before the bell housing mates to the engine but cannot get that last little bit. We have a jack under the engine and have tried one and two jacks under the transmission. I have laid down under it and wriggled / wiggled and I just cannot get it to move forward that last little bit.

I searched the forums and could not find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I light the thing on fire? A day laying on the garage floor trying to futz that tranny back in has left me a little frustrated.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat

We used the alignment tool that came with the kit. I will make sure that it is in gear and try the idea of spinning the tranny to align the splines -- I was doing it with my fingertips on the rear spline but it will be easier with the driveshaft. Thanks the suggestions.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

also I have noticed sometimes its the pilot bushing, you may have to slightly back the trans out, and ty again.... just a thought... cause the disc should engage more than 3/4 inch... and that pilot bushing is dang close to the same exact size as the shaft making it tricky to alighn.. couldn't they have made it more funnel like lol