HybridZ

Ls1, or Ls6 coil pack?

280zbeeT

I can get a ls6 Coil pack, brackets and wirening harness, Im running msd6a, with halteche11v2,

Should I get a ls6 coil pack from a z06 corvette?

or should I get the ls1 coil pack from the suburban or a camaro??

the z06 is around the same price.. but, I just feel its newer so in better condition.. what do you think? and what works better for turbo applications an my setup?

82 p90head, with n42 block turbo setup.. thanks for your opinions an what worked for you!

I can get a ls6 Coil pack, brackets and wirening harness, Im running msd6a, with halteche11v2,

the z06 is around the same price.. but, I just feel its newer so in better condition.. what do you think? and what works better for turbo applications an my setup?

82 p90head, with n42 block turbo setup.. thanks for your opinions an what worked for you!

The coil packs are the same. There was talk of the "truck coil packs" being better suited for turbo apps (LQ4 and LQ9 engines), but the ls packs seem to do just fine.

• Administrators

I can get a ls6 Coil pack, brackets and wirening harness, Im running msd6a, with halteche11v2

Do not use the MSD6A with any LSx coils.

I apologize if I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion but, if you're referring to the brackets I sell, they only work with the truck/Suburban coils.

• Administrators

LS1 coils have a built in igniter! Coils with built in igniters are NOT compatible with external igniters such as the MSD 6A box! Especially not compatible with a Multiple Spark Discharge igniter! :blink:

If you want MSD, keep the dizzy and single coil. If you want a superior ignition, sell the MSD and use the LSx coils. The LSx coils have a long discharge spark which is generally a superior ignition source to multiple park discharge, not to mention the precise pin point control over the actual ignition timing the LSx coils offer vs a dizzy. Lke carbs vs EFI. They both work aand make great power, EFI and DIS allow pinpoint precise control of mixture/timing. . :2thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

i think you need to study the wiring of theses things and figure out how they work. irun the chevy truck coils with a vipec ecm.the coils have their own built in driver transistors.your ecm will direct fire the gm coils with out any other aftermarkit goodies.the less wiring the better.i built a brackit with sheet aluminum the bolt to the side of my valve cover.i use magnacore plug wires.ditching the distributor will make your timing more acurate

• Administrators

If you are using the RTz coil bracket mount for the L6, the square truck coils are the only ones that fit! Externally the LSx coils in a few variations, sizes, shapes and mounting foot prints.

If you are building your own mount, then use which ever ones you want.

Rumor mill claims the round truck coils with the exposed finned aluminum heat sink is the hot OE coil, not sure if that rumor is true.

Rumor mill claims the round truck coils with the exposed finned aluminum heat sink is the hot OE coil, not sure if that rumor is true.

There is a Youtube video where someone tests the LS1, truck and "new" truck coils with the heat sink. The new truck coils were definitely throwing a hotter spark. However, they appear to have an odd mounting arrangement and would not fit on RTz's mount.