HybridZ

What to do with this T04E?

Well I've been attempting to gather some info on this turbo. So far the part number comes up as turbo family T0486, not quite sure what 86 refers to.

The Cold side seems to be t04e 50trim.

The Hotside is the problem. It appears to be a P-trim turbine with 1.15 a/r housing, it's actually a little larger than the compressor housing.

What should I do to make it usable, have a T3 housing machined to fit the turbine or find a T04 p-trim housing with a smaller A/R?

I see the post about a quick spool valve and how it basically cuts the A/R in half. Is it a bad Idea to block off one side? I've heard someone suggest that before.

Edited by goodoldjam

Thats a big turbine housing...

I also think you're thinking of a twin scroll turbo, which I am assuming this is not.

It's twin scroll.

I did come across a couple places that have machined T3 housings for it. It will end up probably costing a little more than I want to spend. Blocking off one side could be option or building my own valve maybe even a better idea. It's just a wastegate actuator and a divided flange with a butterfly.

Edited by goodoldjam

I'm not familiar with twin scroll, but why not utilize its function?

Wouldn't this equate too good high and low torque curves?

I could only take advantage of the twin scroll with a custom manifold, I would need to split the exhaust runners and feed the sides separately. It would be more efficient but it is beyond what I am willing to attempt and it would be far to expensive to have one made.

With the valving on my undivided manifold, it should result in more low end because it should spool faster. So i guess if it works well you would have a good mix of both top end and low. How well does it work though is the question.

Decisions, decisions. :blink:

Yeah so many. Also have to think about if it's worth it to go to a external wastegate, look at all of Big Phils boost creep issues. Maybe it wont be a issue with the large turbine wheel. I'm kinda leaning towards a none gated housing, just because I do have a 40mm wastegate and flange ready to go on.

Pyro said on Big Phils thread "I run a t3 turbine, 0.63 with a stage 5 and makes full boost at 3500 and pulls to 6500 with a msa stage 1 turbo cam. no creep issues at all. But wish I would had keep the turbine stock. the power band is a little too short"

The P-trim wheel seems to be a few mm bigger than the stage V , so it would make sense that boost should come on even later. I'm getting on board with the .63 housing, anything larger maybe to unreasonable.

I'm not sure why Big Phil gets boost creep. My .63 GT30 (which is smaller, should creep more(unless my logic is backwards :blink: )) with a 38mm Turbonetics Evolution WG holds steady at 15 psi on the spring. No need to go with a huge turbine side because your scared of boost creep. Just get the correct equipment for your setup.

And as I said before, I may want it for my RX-7 if the price is right ;)

I'm not sure why Big Phil gets boost creep. My .63 GT30 (which is smaller, should creep more(unless my logic is backwards :blink: )) with a 38mm Turbonetics Evolution WG holds steady at 15 psi on the spring. No need to go with a huge turbine side because your scared of boost creep. Just get the correct equipment for your setup.

And as I said before, I may want it for my RX-7 if the price is right ;)

Maybe it's just his wastegate placement, it certainly doesn't look flow friendly location. Probably be far more efficient on the manifold, instead of on that adapter.

I know it's perfect for a rotary, but dang the right price would be tough. I would probably want close to same cold side. If it had seen some miles since it was totally rebuilt, I would probably let it go. The Turbine housing can go later though.

To get a idea of that turbine size a 3" pipe goes around it.

100_0464.jpg100_046.jpg

100_0466.jpg

Edited by goodoldjam

My wastegate setup is EXACTLY the same as Big Phil's, just to let you know. If you where to let the whole turbo go, how much would you be looking for?

The problem with selling it is replacing it with another Garret that is Rebuilt or at least in good shape. I figure I can sell the housing and recover at least some of the cost of another. If i had no use for it then i would probably sell it for a decent deal, probably far less than it is worth. I can't do it though, it would be like chopping off my own nuts at this point. Especially since my T3 is beginning to show it's age.

Thanks for all the help deciding guys.

Just got a .63 T3 housing for P-trim, it's actually a boxed garret part. I opened the box and thought no way it's big enough to fit over that turbine. Had to measure it right away and it is big enough. It truly plays tricks on your eyes when you see that huge housing then look at the dinky T3 turbine housing. I have the wastegate adapter and basically everything ready to install, just need to put on the housing. Should have it on by next week, if all goes well.

Do you guys think i should go from 2.5" exhaust to 3" while I'm at it?

Edited by goodoldjam

Well here it is with the new P-trim T3 housing.This picture does the old T3 to much justice, That turbine is tiny.

Turbostop22.jpg

Turbostop11.jpg

Turbostop33.jpg

Now I'm messing with the wastegate adapter, trying to figure out the best way to hook it up to the manifold. I think I have a way to do it without welding but I'll find out in a second.

...Nope it's going to be welded on.

Edited by goodoldjam