HybridZ

240z sway bars

I have been looking for bigger sway bars for my 240z.

I have Energy sus sway bars on my 83 280zxt that are 1 1/8 front;7/16 rear.

Is there a kit that will fit the 240z with the same size as the 280zxt?

I have searched-google/Egergy sus/summit/jegs/MSA/KMS and no such luck, any ideas?

Any info will help.

I have been looking for bigger sway bars for my 240z.

I have Energy sus sway bars on my 83 280zxt that are 1 1/8 front;7/16 rear.

Is there a kit that will fit the 240z with the same size as the 280zxt?

I have searched-google/Egergy sus/summit/jegs/MSA/KMS and no such luck, any ideas?

Any info will help.

The 1 1/8" is the biggest front bar normally run on the front of a 240Z. The 7/16 rear bar sounds like stock OD rear bar. A more typical bar setup is 1" front and either a 3/4" rear or 5/8" rear bar. Suspension Tecniques sells the 1" - 3/4" bar combo and Design Products sells an adjustable 5/8" rear bar.

• 4 weeks later...

MSA has a 1" front 7/8" rear setup for the 240. I run those with Tokico springs on my 73 and it's a nice safe setup for the street, but with stock suspension settings there's too much understeer for the track. I added the TTT adjustable front LCA and TC rods to the front and finally got rid of the understeer, but as the saying goes, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

It's a good idea to decide on what your goals are for the car as that should influence your choice here. If I was to do it again, I'd go with stiffer springs (~200 lbs/in vs. 140/160) and probably a slightly smaller set of bars.

if I am not mistaken, only the 260Z and 280Z had rear sway bars, so you would have to come up with a mount for them in a 240z. I beleve the kit motorsport sells has the provisions for this.

This has been discussed a few times here, but in brief that's correct. The rest of the story is that some 73s were built with the rear brackets installed without a bar. Mine was built 2/73 this way so I was able to mount a 74 bar using those brackets. I had MSA put together a custom kit with a 73 front bar and 74 rear bar and appropriate bushings. I just had to source the cover piece for the bracket which I found on ebay.

There may be an advantage to NOT using the factory brackets if you plan to lower your car more than 1" as the MSA rear bar can hit the undercarriage and limit suspension compression. I haven't had that issue, but others have.

Yeah well I received my 25mm (1") Nismo rear sway bar today.

There is absolutely NO documentation on this part online.

The only info I could find on it is from ClassicZcar.com posted by "26th-Z".

"Datsun lists a rear stabilizer bar starting 8/73 - 55611-E8100 and starting 9/74 - 55611-N3701 but they don't say what size the bar is.

Another part search reveals: (to 8/74)

55611-E4200 - 19mm

55611-E4621 - 21mm

55611-E4622 - 25mm

Also listed is the mounting kit - 99996-E4010 and the end links 99996-E4020

The bars list for $150 each, and each installation kit lists for $30

Bushings are listed also: 54613-66000 - $194 ea. 2 req'd

Courtesy Parts - Texas http://www.courtesyparts.com/"

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8188

I will attempt to test fit the part tonight and see how we do.