HybridZ

Header good or bad

I have a 78 280z 2+2. I just bought a brand new head for it because the old one had a bolt stuck in between one of the valves. While we have it all apart we thought it would be a good idea to put a header on it. Is this a good idea? Will it help performance and fuel millage? Or should i stay with the stock manifold, which had a small leak in it.

go for the header!!!!!! MSA has pretty decent prices. I got the MSA header for my 76 2+2 and love it!!!! My exhaust is the 6-2-1 with the 2.5" outlet to a 2.5" dump pipe with an electric cutout, then the twice pipes system. It sounds great with the dump closed and when its open it is just good ol fun.

I went with the header because I had to change my intake/exhaust manifold gasket so I already had everything apart. The other reasons is it has better flow rate and my theory is that it is going to let heat get out of the head/block easier and not store it in a 25lb manifold. The new header is about 10lb so you're saving weight and adding life to your engine in my opinion.

The conundrum here is header v. leak?? :bonk:

I agree, if your stock manifold has a leak get the header. But on a stock L6 you might not notice much of a performance gain with the header. (compared to V8 cars when you install headers)