HybridZ

measuring pinion angle

madkaw

i've been searching on this subject, but unclear about how to set up chassis. most discussions on this involve solid rears. So when I jack the car up, it is NOT crucial to set car on suspension since this is an IRS set-up-correct? I see no need to load rear suspension since the diff is suppoerted seperately-right? I don't see a reason to set the front on it's suspension either. So supporting by frame is good?

So I set the car up on jacks LEVEL, and then make my protractor measurements.

For those that have done this, where was the happy degree for these cars?

Have you searched on this? I'd go with the laser pointer method. I think it's more exact and from what I understand you don't need to be level at all.

Oh yeah, I searched and went and aquired a magnetic protractor. I just finished removing my exhaust and driveshaft and measured. apparently when i made my own RT mount it was not quite right. I have intersecting lines on my angle, which is not good. My RT mount should have dropped the front of the diff more to get the right angle, so I will need to modify or shim some how. At least I found something-hopefully I found the right thing.

The rear of the trans is -2 degrees and the diff is -4 degrees. So the only fix is to drop the front mount. I haven't seen anyone elses mounts installed, but I was concerned on how close the bolts got to the front brace. I have at least a half an inch to drop the diff, hopefully that will be enough.

Edited by madkaw