HybridZ

Motorcycle Carbs

showa

I'm somewhat new to these motors and noticed in an earlier thread there was mention of motorcycle carbs....

I searched but found no definitive info or links to other sites that address this...

My question is, does anyone have experiance with motorcycle carbs using the stock manifold or custom setups ???

Curious as to experiances on street/ track cars... I'm planning on running street/auto-x and a rare track day with my L28 powered 240Z...

Thank you all in advance for your input... I have learned alot from lurking on this forum already...

Thanks for the reply John....

If you do go that way someday, I would like to hear of your results...

I am somewhat suprized that there is so little info on this site about this subject... With the vast array of experiances on this board it seems to be a modification that would have caught some attention...

I think the reason why most people dont have more detailed info on this is because we have so many other options available that have been tested over the years. Triple carb setups accomplish the same thing (for the most part) but have a larger knowledge base and off the shelf availability.

But if you are still curious, try giving this a read. I dont recall if the slide carbs are from a motorcycle, but it is interesting nonetheless.

http://www.viczcar.com/member-rides/eiji-hosomis-datsun-240z

Edited by T-Bone028

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I'm a newby from Australia. I have six 42mm Kiehin bike carbs on my L28 240z, I chopped up an old su manifold and welded 40mm aluminium tube to it on a spare cylinder head to get the angles correct. They have been on for 2yrs without needing to be balanced at all, knife edged shafts from the factory 42mm all the way through. Was fairly easy and cheap, around $500 aus all up.

Edited by Gareth. J.

Thanks, Not too bad for DIY carbs. I was running triple Dellortos, the bike carbs have way more torque down low, great throttle response, top end and all round driveability than the old setup did. I need some work done to the P90 head to see how they really go, atm it's an original F54/P90, 72deg cam, with extractors... Haven't been on dyno but it's reasonably quick, funny thing is I always seem to want more power. The linkages are great after the first balance it has been set and forget, bit of fidling with 9 changes in jet sizes. They are from 1999 Honda blackbird, which was the fastest production bike in the world when released. Hopefully some off that speed is in my Z now :D