HybridZ

Enlarging oil orifice in block

2eighTZ4me

The Honsowetz book mentions opening up the oil hole in the block to .125" for more oil volume to the head. It also only mentions ONE oil jet, and that is the one on the oil filter side in the middle of the block. I didn't see anywhere where it mentioned to open up the second jet at the front of the block. Is it "assumed" that you open up both holes to that size? Or just the one? Need to know ASAP - block at the machinist's now.

I may get pilloried for this suggestion, but....

You can try and call Ed Pink Racing Engines and ask him yourself, or have the machine shop call. It's not like he's dead and we all have to guess about this stuff! :blink:

(Don't laugh at the outrageousness of this suggestion, there is a reason I'm saying it...)

OK - spoke to Frank at Ed Pink. He stated that the orifice that supplies oil to the head is the one above the oil filter. He stated the second orifice feeds the timing chain tensioner. I'm not sure, as I'm at work, but I'm pretty confident that there is a hole in the head gasket and a hole in the head that allows oil up into the head from that passage as well. I thought the timing chain tensioner was fed by an internal oil galley inside the block. I could be wrong (probably am) but that just doesn't add up. I'm going to have to crack out the online FSM and see what the oil routing diagram is actually.

Bottom line - he said that only the one hole by the oil filter needs to be opened up - but I still want to find out what that second orifice feeds.....

Hell no. You did your due diligence and directed me to where I could find the information. I always know if you can't find the info - you can certainly lead the cow to the pasture wherein it lies. BIG thanks to you.

I must admit I was a bit nervous about calling them and getting them to divulge potential "trade secrets" (although it WAS printed in the Honsowetz book) but they were a nice bunch of guys and very polite. Wish ALL businesses could be like that nowdays.

Now....where does that second damn hole go to!!!!????

That oilhole that is closer to the timing chain, really feeds the tensioner.

So the oil is going first to the head and then it goes to the tensioner.

Or atleast in my engine it does. :D

I think that this varies by head - my recollection is that my N42 does not have a passage that mates with the front orifice.

Also, there are a couple of different tensioner oiling configurations that vary by year.

Edited by TimZ

Well - I have decided that since the book only mentions the hole above the oil filter, AND the other one does feed the tensioner - I'm only going to expand the one above the filter and leave the front one alone. I'm also not going to go out to the full 3.17mm as mentioned in the book, but rather just out to 3mm even - from 2mm. I will realize a good increase in oil volume, however, I won't be dropping pressure as much (probably negligible) as I would going out the full Monty. Trying to find the happy medium, and I think I'll be safe in doing this with a turbo oil pump supplying the juice. Will be quite some time until the motor actually gets in the car and running, so it may be a while before I report back on the results.

I think that this varies by head - my recollection is that my N42 does not have a passage that mates with the front orifice.

Also, there are a couple of different tensioner oiling configurations that vary by year.

My engine is N42-block and P90-head.

I would really like to know if some blocks or heads have different oil paths to the tensioner.