HybridZ

Water Temp Sensor Removed and Engine Runs

SO i have been battling the EFI system for quite sometime now and Yesterday my cousin stopped by my house and suggested that my Water Temp Sensor was causing all the EFI problems that I have. Well today I tried removing it for testing.. rather I snapped the connector off. Anyways after replacing the Water Temp sensor the car felt the same. I tried timing it but the car wont even stay on long enough for me to do so. After all the frustration I felt that I am going to take a break. SO i thought for the hell of it I disconnected the Water temp sensor and Thermotime switch. After i took off the thermotime switch the car ran the same, but when I removed the water temp VOLIA! the car ran... and no back fires nothing! what can be the problem that causes this?

If indeed you did disconnect the water temp sensor then someone had the wrong wire running to it as it has absolutely nothing to do with the ecu or how the engine runs. It has one function make the gage tell you the coolant temperature ( of course with stock gage it is problematical whether the temp it shows has anything to do with reality). Assuming you have a zx you didn't see fit to make the type car you are talking about available to the general public.

If indeed you did disconnect the water temp sensor then someone had the wrong wire running to it as it has absolutely nothing to do with the ecu or how the engine runs. It has one function make the gage tell you the coolant temperature ( of course with stock gage it is problematical whether the temp it shows has anything to do with reality). Assuming you have a zx you didn't see fit to make the type car you are talking about available to the general public.

Ooops sorry I have a 1978 280z EFI. I read in the EFI bible that " the water temp sensor allows the control unit to richen the mixture until the engine arrives at operating temperature. While the engine is warming up, the oil is thicker; there is more resistance, so more fuel is needed. This sensor is just like the sensor which controls the water temp gauge in the dash. That is , it changes as the engine temp changes." (pg 19 EFI bible)

My suggestion is to do the ecu pin test for your water temp sensor and make sure it reads good. Double check that your temp sensor and thermotime are not plugged in backwards. The temp sensor should be black wires and time should be green wiring. That is what was causing mine to backfire out of intake.

My suggestion is to do the ecu pin test for your water temp sensor and make sure it reads good. Double check that your temp sensor and thermotime are not plugged in backwards. The temp sensor should be black wires and time should be green wiring. That is what was causing mine to backfire out of intake.

I have made sure the wire was correctly plugged in. I will do the ECU test today.