HybridZ

Turbo swap brought to a halt

jonzzer

Ok so im doing the l28et swap on my 77 280z and Ive come to a cross road. im trying to get the t5 tranny mated to the stock R180-200 diff that's in it.The machinist said it'd be 430 to get the drive-line custom made, which is crazy expensive for a college kid. Or i could just swap the old 4 spd back in and use the stock drive-line. I also could get the turbo diff and swap it in but that'd be 100 for it, 220 for the cv adapters, but then id still be 200 to get it cut and rebalanced. I'm i being gouged or is this a realistic price? also what have other people done in the past? I might just cheap out and swap trannys so i can drive it finally.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Edited by jonzzer

Driveline services in Portland Shortened and replaced my U joints for a little over a $100. http://www.driveshafts.com/

To have one made would cost a bit but you should talk to these guys.

They actually had to replace the flanges where the bearing caps sit in, because they were messed up. So basically I gave them a metal tube.

Edited by goodoldjam

If you're strapped for cash, just throw the 4 speed in there. N/A Trannies are fine if you're pushing stock or near-stock power. I've been using a 78 5 Speed on my N/A-T for almost a year now.

There is a guy from Houston that has been using 4 speeds pretty successfully. When he pops one, he just puts a new one in.

Advantages of the 4 Speed:

They are seriously dirt cheap. You can sometimes get money for getting them out of people's shops [Hey I'll give you $5 to come get mine :)]

Disadvantages:

It's got a 1:1 4th gear, so Interstate cruising might not be prime.

If you're a poor college kid like some of us, I doubt you'll be throwing a GT35R on anytime soon. IMO just use the stock driveline.

Edited by FlatBlack

Stock 4 speed.

I've been using this transmission for the time I have had my L28ET on the road and it is great. Why not go with this tranny? I've heard that they will hold well up to 300hp from a Z specialty guy, but I cannot remember his name off the top of my head.

Thanks guys, swapping the 4spd back in was my plan after getting the estimate i just needed some advice on it. The quote i got sounds like that's what its gonna cost me to do it no matter what, so ill be saving up. Well then im in the market for a turbo diff or just the flange lol if anyone has one for a decent price or near Portland, OR pm me.

Thanks guys, swapping the 4spd back in was my plan after getting the estimate i just needed some advice on it. The quote i got sounds like that's what its gonna cost me to do it no matter what, so ill be saving up. Well then im in the market for a turbo diff or just the flange lol if anyone has one for a decent price or near Portland, OR pm me.

Poor Uni students buy Chinese [OBX HLSD :P], not overpriced 200k mile CLSD Z31T diffs ;)

How mush do you want spend?

You can check out the pick in pulls but they're not even close to as cheap as they use to be. Now they charge a core price also. http://www.picknpull.com

Also there is a guy in Gladstone with Z parts, you maybe able to get a deal from him. When i went he had about 6 Z/ZX's and quite a few diffs already out.

His name is John Walker 503-655-2256.

Edited by goodoldjam