HybridZ

Any tips on getting a locked glovebox open?

So I recently picked up a 73 240z from Oregon and the previous owner had never been able to get the glove box open and none of the keys I have work on it....SO, i was thinking either to take a dremel and cut the plastic glovebox liner or maybe someone has a trick or idea to help me out before I do anything drastic.

thanks !

Here is a pic of my car, its on the right.

4733494414_252f9c352a_b.jpg

Edited by lumberjackj

Cutting the glovebox is pretty easy, it lets you get to the lock mechanisim.

Other than that...'picking the lock' is not as easy as it sounds. I'd weigh the cost of the locksmith call out against that of the repop cardboard glove box.

Have a locksmith (or shady friend lol) pick the lock? Seems like a better idea then hacking up your current glove box just to get inside. I think there are also ways they can disassemble the lock and make a key with the correct pattern.

hahaha, yeah thought about it, but dont really have many "friends" like that and locksmiths are not cheap usually...

Cutting the glovebox is pretty easy, it lets you get to the lock mechanisim.

Other than that...'picking the lock' is not as easy as it sounds. I'd weigh the cost of the locksmith call out against that of the repop cardboard glove box.

yeah, looks like i may end up cutting the glovebox, i have a few extra datsun keys im going to try to grind down and see if i can get something to work....

thanks!

okay, to get this open, Consider taking apart the lower dash to see if you can get to the hinge screws, they're never very tight. you may be able to get them out, w/o damaging your box from the back. You have the Key that fits the ignition right? It's supposed to be the same key unless some PO had replaced the box. worst case you can pull the dash and pop out the whole box, but I don't know if you can do that w/o getting behind the box.

If you can line up a new door, it might just be easiest to cut/bust out the door and replace it.

Phar

Aren't the glovebox screws on a 240 INSIDE the flap of the glovebox door.

You may as well just cut the box. (And I don't mean ritual suicide in a white robe...)

They are available, and once you have it open by whatever method, you can change it to one you have a lock for, or fiddle to your heart's content!

The glovebox door is not usually used that much, so the pins are usually very sharp, and you will need either the 'master' key or something very close to what is supposed to be in there to get it unlocked.

Does the ignition key unlock the doors as well? Does it fit in the glovebox but just not unlock it? If so, you might consider finding the key code on the door cylinder, going to a locksmith, and having him make a shiny new key for you. It could be that the key is just too worn to turn the tumblers inside the lock

key code is punched on the original key, and on the locks as well as on a sticker inside the glovebox.

Cut the glovebox and read the tag, that's the ticket!

Seriously, I've taken the door lock from the passengers door (usually less worn) and had a key made, which just happened to work on everything on the car.

But that's $35. Probably either way you will need to get the key made, and there is a good chance the tag on the box door will be illegible. I've seen more without a readable tag, than with over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

After about 20 minutes of fiddling with numerous pieces of metal and screwdrivers, i finally got it open. The previous owner said it was never opened, none of the keys in it worked when I tried them, I then squirted some AeroKroil in the lock and on the lock mechanism, let it sit and then tried manipulating the lock latch (the latch on the inside of the glovebox) with a small flathead jewelers screwdriver. I was able to slide it between the glovebox door and the dash and unlock the mechanism manually. After opening the glove, found a Registration card and insurance card from the early 80s.... crazy how long that thing was locked =/

thanks everyone!