HybridZ

MIVEC ZX

KiwiZ

Hello,

This is my first time posting so please go easy on me :rolleyes:

Anyway, I 'might' be in the position to get hold of a resonably tidy (needs a little work) 280 ZX but the engine is a little tired.

What my question is, is it all feasible to get a 6A12 Mivec V6 into a 280ZX? The reason I ask is that I have one in the garage in the process of being rebuilt (was for another project but might move it to this) and also a PD Supercharger that was going to get slapped onto it.

I understand the 6A12 is a FWD setup so are there any options for a RWD box to mate up to this (obviously some customisation would be needed).

I'm not worried about costs etc.. as I know the deal there from experience, I'm more looking for info on a technical point of view - ie. is it doable, what I should look at etc... Google hasnt been overly helpful on this as the 6A12 isnt a widely popular engine for aftermarket use but it sounds fantastic and thats why I like them.

Anyway thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks

They're itty bitty little motors no?

Well some careful research has found me that the wideblock 4G and the 6A share the same bellhousing (supposedly) and by getting the starion motor'd bellhouse out of an 87-88 B2600 pickup (ute?) you can use the FD RX7 5 speed. I'm not sure if you're going to be using the DOHC or SOHC variants but you will have to deal with half of the important connections coming out of the back of the motor, essentially into the flywheel. A main coolant hose and the air intake are the main concerns I'm seeing right now.

But if you can do it, why not? N/A It may not be the quickest car in the world, but if ya like it, go for it. Turbo may be cool.

Thanks for that :)

I'll have a look at the Starion bellhouse / FD RX7 5 speed combo, its not something I saw from looking around the web at work... And you are correct the 4G apparently share the same bellhousing (someone who put one of these into a Mirage Hatch confirmed it).

The variant I have is the DOHC from the FTO GPX not the Galant version as it was orginally intended for a Mitsi Lancer conversion.

I've got a SC12 PD Supercharger from an MR2 that could work on it, or as you pointed out the other option is to chuck a turbo on it (it'll be one or the other as it wont stay NA).

As a former 280zx owner I know what you mean by the engine is a little tired, believe me when I say I've been stranded too many times. This is a very interesting thread and I hope you do go through with this. I would like to see the process and end results! Good Luck KiwiZ! Im rootin for yah! :2thumbs:

Howdy KiwiZ,

So Is the 1.8lt v6? They do sound pretty cool but those zx's are heavy bastards! I would want at least 250hp to have a bit of fun, and I would want it pretty low down in the rev range. Might save you a whole lot of grief to choose a different engine. Maybe a v6 out of one of the jap utes and then turbo it. The zx I had was getting draged off at the lights buy telstars and there like untill the boost kicked in.....and that was with 2.8lts.

Douglas

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy KiwiZ,

So Is the 1.8lt v6? They do sound pretty cool but those zx's are heavy bastards!

How many have you weighed? How many have you stripped? My 81' tips in at 2640 pounds. And stripped the bare chassis is lighter than the S30 bare chassis...

Now, if we're talking about a fully loaded 83' they CAN reach over 3000 with a full tank of gas and misc stuff lying in the car. BUT, most aren't that heavy. And my point is that luxury feature for feature it's lighter than the S30, not commonly talked about. Gut it to the accomodies of a 70' 240Z and you'll be amazed at how much weight it sheds.