HybridZ

Victoria British Fender Arrives

Hello guys,

Well the Victoria British fender I ordered on 5/9/02 arrived today. That only took about 6 days! The other guys at autoparts on line never got my fender and it was going on one month!

Now as far as the quality it is primo :D It is primed in black on both sides and came packed in a very good container, lots of packing material inside. I had to cut off the box to get it out because it was packed so good. The fender came from a company called Long Motors even though I ordered it through VB.

The fender doesn't just bolt right on however and will take a little bit of lining up before it fits just right but this is not a slam on VB. I have the "How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car" by Wick Humble book and on page 39 he talks about new body parts and their condition.

"...no experienced bodyman expects-or usually finds-a new body panel to be perfect as delivered."

"...it may need considerable trimming, drilling, straightening, and massaging into shape before it qualifies as a replacement for the original panel."

I hope this helps out on the great debate of Victoria British sucking when it comes to fenders, I have one and I for one am perfectly happy with it :D and remember folks it only took about 6 days to get to me!

Guest kc6wfs

Thanks for the up date,

Ya it's the same for most aftermarket places to have to do some work in the parts before you get a good fit.

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info GF,

I'll definitely take them [back] into consideration based on what you tell me when it comes time for the new 240 fenders. It seemed like no one liked them, and I met with a guy who was very upset, being a professional auto body worker, at the poor quality and fit of his fenders. So.. you know.. refreshing to hear a different story.

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Flash,

After you get it on and lined up let up know how

much "considerable" drilling cutting and lineing up you needed to do.

It appears from the last entry that another bodyman felt it was to much adjusting I assume compaired to other fenders...

I assume if a used fender is purchased this adjusting is not neccessary... I assume.....

Can anybody testify to this assumption.

Terry :eek:

Guest Anonymous

What one body man thinks is impossible is a piece of cake for another. Of course, every trade has it's share of prima dona's, also. If I were happy with the piece as received, I would just install the thing. If it takes a little creativity, well that is part of the game.

That's the way I see it. ugg.gif I could be wrong.

Victoria Brittish is a subsidiary of Long Motor Corporation. I actually get a price break from them for my business, and all of their products have been top notch excepting the weather gasket set I bought from them years back... I heard it has improved.

VB All the way Baby!

Mike Kelly

:cool:

Yup... I don't cotton much to being called a liar, and being threatened with arrest in front of family and friends, customers and potential customers. Can't much say anything good once something like that happens... Yea, I can move past it, I just won't forget it!

VB All the way baby!

Mike hail.gif

And guys...lets not forget the 6 day shipping to my front door! Wooooooohooooooo I'm with Mike VB all the way! Just a side note to this, I also tried to call MS that day and order one of their fenders instead but as luck would have it their phone system was all screwy so if you snooze you loose! rockon.gif

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Yup... I don't cotton much to being called a liar, and being threatened with arrest in front of family and friends, customers and potential customers. Can't much say anything good once something like that happens... Yea, I can move past it, I just won't forget it!

VB All the way baby!

Mike hail.gif

Okay, I HAVE to ask - what occured and when? Was this out at th eMSA show recently? Details man!

Okay, I HAVE to ask - what occured and when? Was this out at th eMSA show recently? Details man!

Ya know these right coast guys fly in, start picking fights with the locals, then fly back....sheesh Mike, can't take you anywhere!! :D:Dbonk.gif

BLK, check out one of the MSA posts, Mike touched on it a bit, not my place to tell the story....

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Did this happen during a full moon. I have theory on human behavior and lunar cycles. That is where lunatic comes from. MSA may have hidden cult meaning to the letters . What kind of symbol do they use and has anyone heard them talk sdrawkcab (backwards)

Mike, Do I sense a little bias here considering how their main competition has treated you? I don't disagree though...I have only bought some very small items from VB, mainly because MSA is within driving distance for me, but all the VB stuff has been good, as well as the stuff I have bought for my 71 truck.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I have mixed feelings about MSA just from a quality standpoint. The rear spoiler I bought and installed with the two outside bolts (only, nothing in the middle) is now cracking where the hatch button is.

The car has been driven maybe 2k miles since it was put on. I'm going to have to take it off, bond in a nut in the middle somewhere and drill another hole or two to bolt the middle down so it can't move from the force of the wind going over the spoiler and re-crack it. I'll also need to drill the end of the crack and then re-glass it. Or..... I take it off, raise it up and bring it down and bust it in half and chuck the whole mess and put on one of those aluminum ricer wings that won't crack. (kinda kidding here, kinda not I hate fixing cracked fiberglass, specially if it'll do it again).

Also, what the hell is so tough about them just putting in a online catalog ordering system like every other vendor on the planet (VB you need one to, even a online catalog with no purchasing would be an improvement here). I'm no master webmaster, but I built a shopping cart system that worked fine and was secure, so I know its not like rocket science that demands 6 digit money to do.

I havn't seen the place but it kinda makes me think its a small time operation, my A/C for example was drop shipped from a place in Georgia I believe it was and its quality is fine, its instructions on the other hand bit the sack.

Also a rotational phone system which puts you in a queue (which sucks but so does busy signals) for the 'next available agent' would be a big improvement over a busy phone line, thats just bush league in my opinion.

Oh well, those are my gripes, I'm glad there are Z vendors, I just wish they' were more like Summit Racing or Jegs and not rinky dink phone line only ordering places. I usually know what I need, and don't want a bunch of questions from someone who doesn't have a clue. Let me press buy me and be on my way.

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

It isn't much better if you go there (MSA) in person. There can be 50 people in the shop (which can only hold about 5),and have one guy behind the counter. Worst part is, there can be 1/2 dozen other employees milling around, but will they help?....no.

Tim

Hey guys here is an update on the fender progress.

I have massaged and rubbed the fender and have beat and banged and cut on the fender and cussed Wick Humble's name at the top of my lungs for the last couple of days! fmad.gif

Here is the problem I see so far. The thing either is going to be fitting extra tight or not at all. I mean all of the bolts line up except the two bottom 12mm bolts.

I had to do a little cutting on a piece that was keeping the fender from sitting all the way down like it should and that gave me a couple of more inches to work with.

I now have the fender within about 1/2 inch or less from being able to bolt in the bottom holes. God willing I will get it on there if I have to make my own holes! 2thumbs.gif

Guest gprix1

Man I could have helped you out here I think. I have right and left fenders with original (as in never re-painted) white paint. There are totally straight except for a very subtle ding (like a door ding). I pulled them 'cause I bought fiberglass 280YZ fenders and a cowl hood from VR Engineering and don't need them. They are complete with the headlight buckets, headlights, side-markers, the lower front part, and turn signals.

There is surface rust near the rockers but this was a California car and it looks like there is plenty of good metal there still. Much less work than those fenders your dealing with now I'm sure.

Oh well, Sorry coollook.gif