HybridZ

78Z: L28et MS2, EDIS, Holset swap...

Well its been awhile... finished school this week going to try and get some stuff done this weekend before I leave for the other side of the state for a summer internship. :) I might bring the car over at some point if possible.

Anyways, purchased Dereks kit, looks awesome. Pulley is ready to go. Decided to go with an external wastegate so I bought a t3 t3 adaptor and had that welded onto the manifold. Bolted up the turbo and sealed the original wastegate and it looks great. Pictures later.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I really spent alot of time thinking about what would make it look nice.

Well as far as the car goes, I'm 5 hours away from it and will be for alot of the summer if I don't bring it over. Since I have time to ponder what I need to do here's a list.

Purchase:

ms2 with db37 harness connector

Wastegate, ext.

Blow off valve

Intercooler piping

Downpipe with flange for Wbo2

Air filter

Install:

Everything above

Edis trigger wheel and sensor Bracket

I'll be able to buy alot of this stuff within the next week or two, I just can't install it... Might have to recruit my dad or someone back home to take interest... Haha

Also need to get a new caliper on the back, ones leaking. Why did I ever replace the drums????

• 3 months later...

Alright, got back home this last week. I ended up working straight up to school starting so I didnt get any free time at home. The good thing though is Im all paid up for school this semester and I have that extra week in pay. That will give me a little flexibility on trying to buy parts. Ill be able to buy all the stuff in my previous post within the next couple weeks, Ill probably wait on the MS2 unit itself and just buy the connector so I can have everything ready to go before I buy the unit itself. I dont want to get ahead of myself and hook it up before everything is ready.

Im going to try and dedicate some time on the weekends to working on the car... I would love to have this done before I graduate!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I have a 38mm tial in my possession, a BOV from msa, I bought some 16 gauge aluminized steel for the intercooler piping. (yeah a little heavy but oh well, it will work fine), tbolt style pipe clamps are in the mail, I have a new exhaust flange for the holset as well.

The ic piping is pretty close to done. I need to get a section of straight pipe and steal my welder back from my friend before I finish. The wastegate appears to hit the manifold right now so I'll need to rotate the housing to fix that.

I'll update with some pictures later today on what I get done.

Tial 38mm wastegate.

IMG_0742.jpg

Holset exhaust downpipe flange.

IMG_0739-1.jpg

3 inch outlet, Ive got a bunch of 2.5 inch pipe left from my IC so I will probably neck the 3 inch down to 2.5 unless people think that will be really bad on performance..

IMG_0740-1.jpg

IC set up, still need to do fine tuning and welding to make sure everything is straight and looks nice.

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737-1.jpg

BOV, got it for $25! Its the one sold by MSA. Its brand new, I took it apart and everything looked good. Everything is sealing great, shouldnt have any issues with it.

IMG_0738-1.jpg

I rotated the housing and went to try it and now the vacuum fitting isnt in the way but the housing is still to big to have it mounted directly to the manifold to turbo T3 wastegate adaptor. I ordered an additional 2 flanges for the waste gate and will be making a short extension of about 2-3 inches of pipe to put the housing for the wastegate closer to the firewall where it wont hit the exhaust manifold. The dump tube will be able to go straight out of the bottom of the waste gate into the downpipe.

Plan for this week and probably next weekend:

-Flanges should be in the mail this week

-Weld up extension for wastegate

-Weld up IC piping

-Weld on BOV port as in picture

-Plan a downpipe. 3 inch to 2.5 inch? 3 inch all the way?

-Pick up a bung/nut for the O2 sensor to weld onto the downpipe

Edited by Challenger

Got the flanges. Cut a short section of 1.5 inch tubing for the extention for the wastegate. I got a new tank for the mig so I'll be back in business for welding Sunday. I'm getting busy with school so i will probably try to just tack everything together. IC piping, the extension and then the short 3 inch piece I have for the downpipe. I also received a new set of new t clamps which look pretty nice.

I'll update Sunday.

• 1 month later...

Ill just make a quick update, havent done well on posting progress...

Things left to do:

Install spark plug wires when I get them. They should ship tomorrow from Magnecor. Got custom length ones made, $130... ouch

Ordered the pins for my DB37 from digikey, had to order 100, that was their minimum. Oh well. Waiting for those.

I need to do last checks on all the wiring since I havent gone over it since earlier this year. I need a refresh of what all I did. Double check that and then finish my DB37 connector.

Paint my intercooler piping.

Wrap the downpipe (not a big deal at this point

BUY megasquirt. I am not sure when this will happen... Id love to have the money for this over winter break but we will see.

I am hoping to get the wiring mostly finished over thanksgiving break.... its so close!

photo.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Got in my magnecor wires. Sadly, I was not safe on the lengths and should have added an inch or so to a few of them. It isnt the end of the world though. I moved my coil pack to the side (an inch or so) and they look pretty good, a lot more slack. I will definitely want to revise how I mount the coil pack to make sure they have plently of slack. Another dumb decision, oh well, life goes on...

I have thanksgiving break off starting tuesday night so Im gonna try to get the DB37 wiring cut down to where I want and possibly start crimping on the pins and putting it together.... well see if I get it all together.

I went through and rewired my fuel pump and the power that will be going to my megasquirt. At this point I will have two switches. One for the fuel pump, the other provides the start signal to the original datsun EFI relay which sends power to my injectors, another relay turned on by the same switch sends power to megasquirt from the battery (best for noise suppression?). Car should be pretty theft proof.

Went through and checked almost all of my wiring, it looks like everything is in order.

Question about EDIS... I should be able to crank the car over and get spark assuming the EDIS is getting power? Doesnt it have a limp mode where it will run without any input?

Edited by Challenger

Question about EDIS... I should be able to crank the car over and get spark assuming the EDIS is getting power? Doesnt it have a limp mode where it will run without any input?

Not without any input. You must also have the VR sensor wired to the module and correctly oriented to the trigger wheel. Limp-home timing is 10BTDC.

Keep up the good work!

Your assumption is correct. EDIS should put on a light show granted that it has power, ground, and a VR signal; pretty much everything but the PIP and SAW wires.

Your car is coming along nicely! Very clean!

*edit*

Darn Leon beat me to it!

Edited by lowrider

Alright, a little update. I got the DB37 basically all wired up. Just need to check everything for the nth time....

Official To Do List:

-Finish wiring for o2 sensor (Ground)

-Remount coil pack and edis module. The plug wires should be fine but I want to give it a little more room for any movements of the engine

-Purchase megasquirt

-Adjust VR sensor to be closer to the trigger wheel

-Check to see if EDIS is firing in limp mode

-Tidy up wiring if everything checks out

-Figure out an electric fan, any recommendations? Ill have to put it between the intercooler and radiator. The space between the two will be ducted off so I am not concerned with loosing flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the WBO2 ground. Got my fuel pump wiring, relay and switch working and bundled up how Id like.

Still waiting on some cash flow to get my megasquirt.... Im gonna be selling a couple guns this coming weekend hopefully to fund the datsun. I really have too many guns, and I would much rather drive my car! haha.

Ive been looking at my intercooler piping and wondering about how I will bead the ends. I really want to get a good seal with the hose clamps so a bead will be neccesary. The piping is 16 gauge so Its pretty thick... I remember seeing a post somewhere online about using a vise grips that was modified with some sort of die. I imagine with a torch and some pressure I can get some kind of bead on there.

Had the VR sensor wired backwards so I swapped the wires and got spark! It looked like pretty good spark and seemed to be timed correctly for cranking rpm. (a spark every second or less) I am pretty excited, a good little boost for this week.

This is dead week and then finals next week so I shouldnt be working on the car but I might do a couple things here and there.

Edited by Challenger

• 1 month later...

Not yet, I have been busy with other stuff and its just way to cold outside to work...

I hooked MS up and was able to get my sensors calibrated, tables loaded, I think everything I need to start it. I still need to check my timing with the trigger wizard but I think it should be close.

Hopefully in the next week or so Ill get out and start checking if I have fuel and spark. I have a few questions on how to do the test mode for those but ill have to look at tuner studio again and try a few things out.

Before I try to start it I need to prime the oil pump and add coolant as well. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can do a little bit.

As far as EDIS, I just looked at a bunch of different posts here. There is a post by Brapp that is really good. He tests out EDIS systems manually and shows all the wiring.

Edited by Challenger

• 4 weeks later...