HybridZ

Heading to the junk yard

cbclarkkent

OK I know I'm beating a dead horse here but Ive got a question. There is a 77 280z at the local junk yard as well as some early 90's Q45's. I'm planning on running a 300hp v8 and want a strong diff with some sort of LSD. I know the 280 has the long nose R200 without LSD since it's an NA car. I know the Q45 has the short nose R200 with LSD. I know to get the four inner cv's from the Q45 if I go that route. My question is which is worth the time pulling from the car, the R200 out of the Z that will supposedly bolt in (but I'll still have to add an LSD to) or the R200 out of the Q with it factory LSD, bigger splines etc. but expensive aftermarket axles and adapter flanges? Plus its short nose so is it bolt in or fab in?

Please help me out just need a straight forward answer not a bunch of people asking why didnt you use the search function. There are 5 or 6 stickies on this subject but after reading all of them, one can find himself more confused then when he started.

Why do you need an LSD? What is the car built for, street? Track? Drag?

The Nissan R200's have been known to be very strong. I was told that they've used the R200 in a 9 second car.

The R200 will be MUCH easier than the Q45 short nose, and much more inexpensive! You will need the mustache bar from the car and may have to flip the differential crossmember for fitment, but otherwise, its a bolt in application.

I am using a VLSD R200 with 300zx CV axles and MM adapter/27 spline 280z stub axles.

I'd love to say I race the car but when it comes down to it, its just going to be a fun street car. I just hate the thought of spinning one wheel and thats why I want the LSD. But who knows if I get enough people on here telling me Im really not going to need it on the street, well I guess I could go without it then. In the future I would like to autocross it but who knows if that will ever happen.

Ok just got back, today was just for recon. I found a 240SX with a complete hub to hub rear suspension. After looking at it I'd love to just make a couple attachment points for the whole rear cradle and just bolt it in per say although we know it would be a lot more complicated than that. It did have a finned diff cover but I didnt get down and get any numbers off it. There were 3 Q45's that had 6 bolt cv's and finned diff covers years ranged all in the early 90's and all had 160,000 miles plus. All had v8's as well. There were a couple 260's and a couple of 280's all with rear suspensions. Left today with a hatch with glass for 36 bucks woo hoo. My hatch was full of bondo and the neighbors kid shot out the back glass with a bb gun.

Ok just got back, today was just for recon. I found a 240SX with a complete hub to hub rear suspension. After looking at it I'd love to just make a couple attachment points for the whole rear cradle and just bolt it in per say although we know it would be a lot more complicated than that. It did have a finned diff cover but I didnt get down and get any numbers off it. There were 3 Q45's that had 6 bolt cv's and finned diff covers years ranged all in the early 90's and all had 160,000 miles plus. All had v8's as well. There were a couple 260's and a couple of 280's all with rear suspensions. Left today with a hatch with glass for 36 bucks woo hoo. My hatch was full of bondo and the neighbors kid shot out the back glass with a bb gun.

I think the VLSD in the 240sx is a 4.08.

• 2 weeks later...