HybridZ

Clutch Adjustment/Throw

jacob80

Hey guys,

Well I have installed an ACT sprung 6 puck clutch behind my L28ET utilizing the stock 240z 4 speed transmission (rebuilt). Ever since I've installed it, I've always wanted to adjust the clutch, but it seems as though that is not an option.

The rod coming from the clutch master cylinder is threaded, and the pedal is all the way at the end of the threads. The issue is that when engaging the clutch, it engages RIGHT at the beginning of the throw (barely lifting the pedal off the floor). Is this normal for this clutch, or is there any way to adjust it so that it engages towards the end of the throw?

Like I said, the pedal is at the very end of the threaded rod coming from the master cylinder, so I cannot run the pedal down the threads or I won't be able to engage/disengage the clutch.

Thanks guys!

The pedal should be set to whatever the FSM says, like 8.5" or whatever it is. Do you have a threaded slave?

If the pedal is all the way out something is wrong. I ended up replacing my master and slave, the clutch fork was cracked at the pivot. After replacing all that I found it was actually a bad pressure plate.

Start looking at your master and slave maybe bleed them for good measure.

If they check out all right then it starts becoming a pain.

I think there is a measurement for slave travel when the pedal is fully depressed, I remember measuring that while someone depressed the pedal.

• 3 weeks later...

Flywheel was bought brand new, and I had it resurfaced once and he just barely skimmed it.

Here is a model representation of my clutch behaivor.

"+" will represent the point in which the clutch engages.

":" will represent the clutch travel

As an example, I will illustrate my Subaru clutch:

Subaru:

Floor ::::::::::::::::::++++++++++ End of throw

240z

Floor::++::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: End of throw

This should make clear to you that the clutch is engaging EARLY and HARD. I do keep in mind that this is a 6 puck sprung unit, but man, it engages hard and is not forgiving (unlike my subaru)!

Edited by jacob80

This should make clear to you that the clutch is engaging EARLY and HARD. I do keep in mind that this is a 6 puck sprung unit, but man, it engages hard and is not forgiving (unlike my subaru)!

Cable throttle actuated tiny Subaru clutch is a terrible comparison to a hydraulically operated 6 puck 240mm Z clutch...

I am going with you used the wrong TOB collar [i'm using a 78 5 speed tranny and 83 ZXT collar] or your MC to pedal rod is too short. maybe a combo of both if it's a real problem.

My clutch engages about 2/3 of the way up the throw.

Cable actuated tiny Subaru clutch is a terrible comparison to a hydraulically operated 6 puck 240mm Z clutch...

I am going with you used the wrong TOB collar [i'm using a 78 5 speed tranny and 83 ZXT collar] or your MC to pedal rod is too short. maybe a combo of both if it's a real problem.

My Z clutch engages about 2/3 of the way up the throw.

Edited by FlatBlack

Cable actuated tiny Subaru clutch is a terrible comparison to a hydraulically operated 6 puck 240mm Z clutch...

Not necessarily, every other manual transmission car that I have driven behaves very similarly, my Z is different from anything...

Not necessarily, every other manual transmission car that I have driven behaves very similarly, my Z is different from anything...

:huh: So you're saying your 6 puck clutch is different from every other organic disc clutch car you've driven? Novel idea! :D

My Subaru cable clutch feels alot different from the other hydro clutch cars I've driven.

Edited by FlatBlack