HybridZ

kameari flywheel installation

Hey everybody, I just returned from a year long deployment in support of OIF. Friday was my first time driving my Z sense my R&R in Janruary!

I got this flywheel from kameari and was told that it was balanced. I know in the back of my head that if I install it I will need to get the engine balanced. But I am wishing that somebody else has something different to say and that the kameari flywheel doesn't need to be balanced and I can install it tonight. Heres a pic of the flywheel:

as far as I can see there is no weight bolted on or welded on... any input? im pretty sure that I can't install it and expect my crank bearings to hold up :(post-11184-066783400 1281310427_thumb.jpg

post-11184-050134900 1281310482_thumb.jpg

Methinks you are putting way too much thought into this.

Was your engine balanced previously?

The Kameaeri flywheel is a balanced unit of itself, and if your prior assembly was individually balanced it can be bolted on, just like stock flywheels don't need balancing on exchange from stock to stock engines.

The flywheel itself can be balanced, and exchanged from engine to engine.

If you want to spend some money, go ahead and take everything apart, and maybe get a couple of grams of imbalance taken out---likely on your crank, not the flywheel...

Really, look at the design of the unit: There is miniscule weight at the farthest inertial point on the flywheel. The less weight there is, the less there is to balance (or that needs balancing, or that can throw out balance...)

I've bolted mine on and I think your concern about crank bearing longevity is...uh...well, waaaaay over the top on what it is. What does that thing weigh anyway, like 8#? With most of the inertial weight in the first 7" from crank centerline?

Did you balance your harmonic dampner? If not, I'd not worry about a flywheel with less inertial loading that your balancer...

thanks guys, I got hammard drunk before I could install it, I just got back from overseas and all the buddies came over but I'm just about to install it. I'' be sure to take pics and post how it feels along with my road race sprung clutch

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I just got back from the sticks of upstate NY, it was almost a 4 hour drive in the Z. The two days before I spent installing my sway bars, Yota four piston calipers, ZX master, springs and the 5 way adj shocks, 5speed ACT road race sprung clutch and pressure plate, the Kameari flywheel, alum radiator and electric fan. The day before I left the HID's came in so I didn't have time to install them, that's todays project.

Let me say that all the work made my car completely different and I love it. Body roll is non-existant, it stops sooooo quick, steering response is amazing and with the crazy light flywheel and no fan anymore the car pulls alot harder from just under 4000rpm all the way up. I love it and I find it hard to get out of the car.