HybridZ

Cheapest way to install a Q-45 DIFFERENTIAL!

redneck1545

and i've been doing some research and think i have found the cheapest way without fabricating anything to install a q-45 diff in this thing.

ok so we've all heard about the techno toy tuning and modern motorsports kits for em as well as the arizona z car kit.(AZ kit can only use the front mount if you already have the $800 rear control arm kit from him also)

I wanted to discuss my plan and reasoning behing doing what im doing. here's the plan...

TTT front diff mount- $150

http://www.technotoy...etail.php?p=863

Arizona z car mustache bar- $219

http://arizonazcar.com/diffmount.html

modern motorsports r230 conversion package with axles- $650

http://www.modern-mo...&products_id=57

Total for install=$1019 plus S+H...

i figured first off why not spread the wealth around to all who have contributed to the manufacturing and designing of parts for this conversion to work in our z cars.

Second, this was the absolute cheapest method of putting in a q-45 without spending hours of tedious fabrication/calculations and crap thats way over my head.

If I purchased the complete swap kit from ross total would have been $1150. (which has received nothing but praise from what I have heard).

The reason im buying the AZ mustache bar is the TTT mustache bar is $30 more than arizona's bar...and i like the way arizona's has the recessed socket screws.

TTT is the only site that advertises the sale of seperate pieces of a rear-end swap package allowing me to just purchase the front mount from them.

I'm hoping by purchasing these parts from all different suppliers will not turn out to be a bad idea and will still be a simple and straight forward install.

any opinions on this approach cause im seriously contemplating shelling out the cash very soon but would hate to have things not work properly just to save 130 dollhairs

Thanks

Edited by redneck1545

Personally, I would get these, I did last year when I installed my Q45:

Billet R230 CV Adaptor, 70-78 Z Car

Also, look at this kit too, again I bought this as well:

R200/R230 Viscous Differential Mounting Package

BTW: DON'T FORGET you'll need FOUR (4) Q45 inner CV axle assemblies ;)

Here's my Q45 upgrade thread to give you some ideas/pictures:

Q45 upgrade

and i've been doing some research and think i have found the cheapest way without fabricating anything to install a q-45 diff in this thing.

ok so we've all heard about the techno toy tuning and modern motorsports kits for em as well as the arizona z car kit.(AZ kit can only use the front mount if you already have the $800 rear control arm kit from him also)

I wanted to discuss my plan and reasoning behing doing what im doing. here's the plan...

TTT front diff mount- $150

http://www.technotoy...etail.php?p=863

Arizona z car mustache bar- $219

http://arizonazcar.com/diffmount.html

modern motorsports r230 conversion package with axles- $650

http://www.modern-mo...&products_id=57

Total for install=$1019 plus S+H...

i figured first off why not spread the wealth around to all who have contributed to the manufacturing and designing of parts for this conversion to work in our z cars.

Second, this was the absolute cheapest method of putting in a q-45 without spending hours of tedious fabrication/calculations and crap thats way over my head.

If I purchased the complete swap kit from ross total would have been $1150. (which has received nothing but praise from what I have heard).

The reason im buying the AZ mustache bar is the TTT mustache bar is $30 more than arizona's bar...and i like the way arizona's has the recessed socket screws.

TTT is the only site that advertises the sale of seperate pieces of a rear-end swap package allowing me to just purchase the front mount from them.

I'm hoping by purchasing these parts from all different suppliers will not turn out to be a bad idea and will still be a simple and straight forward install.

any opinions on this approach cause im seriously contemplating shelling out the cash very soon but would hate to have things not work properly just to save 130 dollhairs

Thanks

Edited by Blown77Z

only problem with the billet ones is they are more money and require 280z stub axles which I currently dont have.

Ive looked at the mounting package as well and while it seems like a great kit im trying to save some mula.

I'm just thinking i can source the necessary parts from all three suppliers and effectively get the same install completed.

another question I wanna ask while I got it on the brain is what is recommended for the driveshaft.

Currently I have an extra driveshaft out of a camaro that I planned on getting shortened and all that jazz.

Somewhere on here I read a thread about someone using the q-45 driveshaft instead due to the larger diameter.

What do yall recommend?

I can go to the pull-a-part yard an get a driveshaft for like $13 bucks so its not a big deal if I should go the q-45 driveshaft route.

only problem with the billet ones is they are more money and require 280z stub axles which I currently dont have.

Why go through the trouble and expense to install the Q45 diff and axles only to retain the weaker 240Z stub axles? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? If you're going to keep the 240Z stubs, why not just go with the R200 setup with Z31 Turbo axles? It's proven to be strong enough. Should be cheaper too if you can find some used axles and a 280Z mustache bar and you can keep the stock driveshaft.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I ordered the mustache bar from dave at arizona z car the other night as well as the front mount from techno toy tuning today.

Before reading this thread I have given much thought to the stub axles in question and have decided to wait to find some 280z donor stubs and companion flanges before I shipe the cores off to ross at modern motorsports.

yall are right...taking stupid shortcuts with the 240z stubs is just a waste of money waiting to happen.

• 4 months later...

I ordered the mustache bar from dave at arizona z car the other night as well as the front mount from techno toy tuning today.

Before reading this thread I have given much thought to the stub axles in question and have decided to wait to find some 280z donor stubs and companion flanges before I shipe the cores off to ross at modern motorsports.

yall are right...taking stupid shortcuts with the 240z stubs is just a waste of money waiting to happen.

Im very curios as to why your going with a VLSD witch from what Im told will only transfer 20% of torque from one wheel to the other. Please correct me if im wrong.

for the price your spending (spent by now Im sure) could have gone Quafe with the Z31 option

I spent some but I still dont have the complete package yet.

So far I have the mustache bar-$200

front mount- $150

280z stub axles, companion flanges, and new wheel bearings.- $150

total-$500

Im still seeing what the deal with ross at modern motorsports is before i spend 700 bucks to wait 3 months and possibly never get parts.

The main reason I'm going with the q45 diff is I have three of these diffs sitting around in my garage, so burning up a VLSD is much less costly to replace than an OBX or Quaife.

I havent done much research on the 20% torque transfer number you just threw out there but i'll be looking into that.

But mainly the reason is its less costly to replace should something break. Junkyards are full of Q45's too should I ever need to make a trip back out there for another.

i'll chime in regarding the vsld and my experience. i've been running the q diff in my z for nearly 5 years now and about 20,000 miles. multiple track days each year including, mid ohio, daytona and watkins glen and have never had it 'open' up during my sessions. i like the fact that it is extremely quiet, especially when i compare it to the nismo clutch lsd i used to have in the r200 which the q diff replaced.

i have heard on tighter tracks the vsld will overhead and become an 'open' diff until it cools sufficiently...

Thanks for your input.

Mine will pretty much be put in a spirited driven street car with the occasional, and I mean OCCASIONAL, track day.

I dont think I will have a problem laying down some rubber on the street or abuse it enough to turn into a one wheel wonder on the track.

Who knows, only time will tell. But for now im happy with my decision to go with the short nose r-200 VLSD. Now I just have to get those dang companion flanges and axles and my setup will be complete!