HybridZ

Using stock transmission + 350.

I heard a rumor that there is a bell housing/adapter that will merge a V8 with your everyday s30 5 speed. It may be completely untrue, I wanted to just put this out there. Yay or nay? If it doesn't exist, it should. :)

Like the other guys said, you don't really want to put a transmission intended for an L6 on a V8. I think there used to be something made by Scarab, but has long since gone away. There are a few options much better suited for the 350 conversion, such as the Camaro T5 or T56.

I would like to reiterate what letitsnow (et al.) have said.

The 280ZX and 300ZX turbo used a "World Class" T-5, stock. I would avoid those, unless you plan on spending a lot of money to get different internals for it, I believe they were offered by Tremec (Borg Warner at the time) to satisfy homologation into certain international motor sports classes (not sure?). Not that the Nissan 5 speeds are particularly "weak" by any means, it's just that the Torque "curve" (if you can call it that, it's more like a very gradual hump or a slightly angled line) of a V8 is going to be radically different from an L6, so they wouldn't have engineered the Z five-speed to handle it.

You can find Camaro T-5s or Mustang T-5s (be aware of what year mustang, they switched over to the WC T-5, at somepoint during the late 80s, I think), for really cheap at parts yards or even refurbished (I'd be surprised if you had to shell out more than $700, even rebuilt). They also have a wide-range of available "OEM" gear-sets/ratios, and a large aftermarket. I got a Camaro T-5 for my 383 project, got some aftermarket hardened internals, $900 out-the-door. The T-5s really aren't that bulky or heavy compared to the FS5W71, anyway, so it's not like you'll be saving weight by keeping the stock transmission, anyway.

• 8 months later...