HybridZ

TPI vette motor in 1980 911 targa porsche

First off let me say I'm a newbie & hello to everyone. Last week i saw a 1980 911 Targa Porsche with a 91' Vette TPI motor in it, I also know this is a big no-no in the Porsche community. Kind of sacred, especially in an early air-cooled model, Vette crowd was like well what ever. I just wanted to know what some of you would think about this or about the motor price seems kind of high, I don't know that much about it & wanted some input. I don't know how to post pictures yet but you can look at the car at www.kitcar.com then go to Porsche replicas for sale & go down to 1980 911 Porsche (not a replica) & see a little info & pictures. Thank You

So your name is really Matt Dillon?

Anyway, the car looks good, but what hits me is the $25,000 price tag. It's being brokered so that means they are taking a big cut for themselves. I think the price is way too high for a 1980 Porsche Targa. I personally would not necessarily pay more for this car than what a stock Targa (or one with similar mods aside from the engine) would sell for. A V8 conversion doesn't make it worth more...

About the conversion itself...well, Renegade Hybrids has been around for a while and they know their stuff. From what I know they have solid kits and I don't hear of too many complaints. I did research the V8 conversions for Porsches a number of years ago and Rod Simpson & Renegade Hybrids were at the top of my list for conversion kits.

Bottom line though is what an individual is willing to pay for such a vehicle. I wouldn't pay this much for it, but then again, I am not you. I think in terms of what I could build for $25,000. I would not look down on you for buying it, but I personally would not pay that much...

Davy

Not exactly the same, but there was a 83 911 that sold here in the dallas area not long ago that had a chevy 4.3 v6 in it. I think it sold for 11. Very solid car with nice interior and custom engine mount setup that appeared stock. Just as a point of reference. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to porsche engines.

Thanks for the reply guys, no mattdillon not real name, I just thought it would sound better than Festus. I've been looking at some of the other Porsches with the Vette motors in them & most of them are alot nicer, haven't seen any prices. Most were on youtube so not really sure they were for sale, the Renegade people are out in Vegas wife & I go out there a good bit may have to check them out next time I'm out there. I'm not really looking especially for a Porsche/Vette car, just thought it would be pretty cool since my last tune-up on my 02 911 996 carrera cost me 2 grand & it was a indy shop, the only one around & the closest dealership is 100 miles. Guess i'll have to go to dealer next time if i'm gonna get Screwed might as well be done right. Thats the thing about the vette motor, theres alot of shops that work on chevys & parts are alot cheaper & tune-up definitely wouldn't cost $2000. I just like nice cars it doesn't have to be any certain make or model. the guys on the Porsche forum thought the vette motor in the porsche was a Disgrace period, especially in the older models (air-cooled) are sacred, but then again some of them think the newer models are a disgrace (water-cooled)I say to each his own I paid for they didn't. Anyway nice talkin to you guys if you have any suggestions or see anything that jumps out at ya let me know.

so tell me what does a VW have to do with datsun z 's ?

on the other note.. a Porche with its stock very light engine even hadels like a S%*^#@ but with a lumpy v8 .. wow .. id start adding bags of cement in the front haha

Edited by frank280zx

I'm seeing it now. The next "because no one has don it yet" engine swap. 1950's 24 horse aircooled vw engine with magnesium case. All cooling related equipment up front eliminated and replaced by fanshroud and doghouse oil cooler. Talk about engine setback! Of course you're going to have to fab new engine tin to get appropriate airflow around cylinder heads. Boch 001 points style distrubutor with vacuum advance and stiff springs. :D Definitely unique. I know this is v8 territory, sorry guys couldn't resist. Back to v8's

Frank280z where in the world have you been for the last 100 years, in racing Porsche Is the car. You must have some kind of hatred or jealousy for them, love them or hate them you can't deny all the records that Porsche has set & with their original motor I might add. But to say a Porsche handles like sh@$*! is just stupid. Thats why Porche wins all these races (road) of course not drag, but its BECAUSE of the set-up. Its definitely not because of the hp.

Anyone that has done some research on V8 Porsche conversions also knows that same thing we do with our Z cars: if done properly, the weight difference will be minimal and the increase in power will be substantial. The comparison of Chevy V8 weight is similar to a twin turbo Porsche engine. When I found that out, the conversion in the 911 made sense to me. I'd love to have one, but I will stick to Z cars because I already have one.

porchev3.jpgConversionPic03.jpg

It's true that the Porsche V8 conversion has nothing to do with Z cars. True, this thread is in the wrong forum; I'll move it in time. However, it's cool to see what some others are doing and what your next project might be!

Davy

Davy I'm apologize, i guess when i saw Hybriz i didn't notice the Z at the end of it, but everyone has been very nice about it. Like i said i have a Porsche & when i mentioned this on the Porsche forum, in the most part you would have thought someone kicked their mother in the stomach. There were a few that were like it wasn't bad, but not something they would do. I'm not what you would call a Porsche Purist so i can't really relate to the Holyness. I just like nice cars & it doesn't matter if its a mix & match as long as it looks nice. But to put a Vette motor in a Porsche is like puttin salt in a wound, not a lot of love there on either side. My main thing is with a vette motor you don't have to spend $1500 - $2000 for a tune up & parts are easier to find & pretty much any garage can work on a chevy motor. I wouldn't have to drive 100 miles for a mechanic, Cause i don't do the work myself thats my First mistake, But i'll go & let you guys discuss your Z's & again i apologize for interrupting your forum. It seems like i have seen a picture of a Z with a vette motor in one though, I could imagine how that thing would run.

It's really not that big of a deal. My father and some friends put a 327 in a 911 in like 1977, but there was no internet so not everyone knew about it as soon as it happend;) Anyway, I can't see spending $25 grand on ANYTHING with a TPI in it. And I agree with DavyZ; a small block chevy swap doesn't realy add monetary value to anything (here we go). It does; however, make tunning and/or replacing the engine very cheap and easy for almost anyone. Now have you seen this:

thanks Roger, Since i posted the first time i've seen some really nice set-ups with the aluminum LS1 motors that are alot better than that TPI motor, i didn't realize but that version is alot older & doesn't have the hp as the newer ones, Renegade Hybrid in Las Vegas is awesome & i heard about this guy toyjet.com has built some awesome rides also. Man i sure didn't know they have been building these since the 70's though, thanks for the pics. The car i was looking at is way overpriced & not anywhere as nice as some of the ones i've seen lately, i was just kind of impressed with the whole 911 & Vette motor thing.

• Administrators

I'd put Lego's in my car if I thought it was the right part for the job.

It's plain silly to to allow others to tell you what's best for you. There will always be concessions in these kinds of projects (investment, return, etc, etc), but that is your burden. Anyone that thinks they have a say in it can go put their head in a toilet.

If a TPI Porsche blows your skirt up, go for it. And please post your progress here. Many of us appreciate automotive challenges and solutions.

Personally the porsche 911 is in my top 5 for timeless looks. They've changed a little over the years but still look very similar. I considered buying one jus before I bought, the datsun. Aftermarket parts aren't ridiculous(oem parts are though), and I'm a vw/ferdinand porsche fanatic at heart.

Frank280z where in the world have you been for the last 100 years, in racing Porsche Is the car. You must have some kind of hatred or jealousy for them, love them or hate them you can't deny all the records that Porsche has set & with their original motor I might add. But to say a Porsche handles like sh@$*! is just stupid. Thats why Porche wins all these races (road) of course not drag, but its BECAUSE of the set-up. Its definitely not because of the hp.

Im from europe and race against porches frequently. from the 993 and up the start to handle.. but adding alumpy V8 wont help a bit with the weight on the tail of the car. That is one car a US v8 doesnt belong in period.. And Davy is right when it comes to curb weight, but from what i understand the distribution of that weight is what throws that swap off.

No jelousy here i drive z4 m coupe for a daily.. and could drive a 993 for the same cash.. Maybe its a purist thing having track driven a 72 RSR and two GT3's.But on the other hand im no purist at all!

And the HP levels of competition porches are sure something that adds to the wins, even if we leave out the 917's (can am versions and fia versions for the matter as they had diffrent engine sizes and varios hp output) For instance that 72 RSR in street trim put out 330 HP, the 910/8 Bergspyder had handling due to moving flaps, but also plenty power (klappenwagen) and for '911's' how about 'moby ****'

The RSR handled worse than a nicely set up 240Z in my book..

So the last 100 years? if you know where i was you have the answer the live.. the last 33.. arround most of europe stracks into classic racing so i know a thing or two about the Porches..

Anyhow go ahead and do it!! if you feel it is good deal do so! ( though i would not use targa to do it) Swapping engines is fun no matter what car you do it in!

Edited by frank280zx

Gothalosism, Thanks but i talked to Scott over at Renegade Hybrids & I'm gonna go see him on my next visit out to Vegas, probably in about a month. Frank280zx, sorry I mis-spoke but i Guarantee you that if you call Scott at RH in Vegas he will answer any questions you've got about the weight, durability, handling and anything else about the v8 conversion. I know i'm not that knowledgeable about any of this stuff, thats why i was asking to get the guys like you & others on this forum's opinions, because i don't know.Like I said before i'm sorry i did this on the Z forum, when i first did it i thought it was for hybrids. I do know that the guys on the Porsche forum won't talk about it with any civility, not sure thats the right word but you know what i mean. Frank just please call Scott 1-866-4982421 & then give me your opinion or tell me why you told him it just was not a good fit. the Only reason i'm even talking about this is because i saw a few of the 911's with the v8s in them. I love the older model Porsche widebody looks & I really don't like paying for the $2000 tune-up or having to replace a motor in one of these cars, hence comes the LS1 motor alot easier to find a mechanic, lots cheaper tune-up, 30 minutes to change out spark plugs, parts are easier to find, alot more interchangeable parts, so on & so on. This is not something set in stone, i just thought they looked good & were efficient & you didn't have to worry about the IMS & RMS problems for starters. But thanks everyone for all of your input,Frank call Scott & let us know after you talk to him & then tell us your opinion, cause I'm telling you he will have you belevin this is the perfect fit & someone like you that is knowledgeable can ask him the hard questions of why this is not a good fit, then maybe you can save me some money in the long run. Gothalosism go by & see the RH shop, cause Scott told me if it didn't impress me while i was there he would Pay for my round trip ticket, can't beat that.

Anyone that has done some research on V8 Porsche conversions also knows that same thing we do with our Z cars: if done properly, the weight difference will be minimal and the increase in power will be substantial. The comparison of Chevy V8 weight is similar to a twin turbo Porsche engine. When I found that out, the conversion in the 911 made sense to me. I'd love to have one, but I will stick to Z cars because I already have one.

porchev3.jpgConversionPic03.jpg

It's true that the Porsche V8 conversion has nothing to do with Z cars. True, this thread is in the wrong forum; I'll move it in time. However, it's cool to see what some others are doing and what your next project might be!

Davy

Davy +1, that was a great response & very good pics. You know whats so great about this forum is that I just came on here & didn't belong but you guys didn't rip me or tell me to get off you actually tried to help me & i really appreciate that. Especially you being a Moderator Davy & not critizing about the topic & just ending it right there. Do most of the guys on here pretty much stay with the stock versions or do you do alot of the modifying & what are suppose to be THE Z's to have or NOT have. Thank you